DAWproject format, exchange between DAWs

It seems that Bitwig and PreSonus have released a new file format for exchange between different DAWs. It looks really interesting.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/bitwig-presonus-dawproject-file-format

Will Cubase implement this? Yes please! =D

11 Likes

Looking nice at least in theory, in practice the question is how reliable it will be? And what about FX parameters and automation?

Like from graph there is mention of “Built-In Devices” how generic Bitwig EQ will tranlate to Cubase’s Frequency or whatever. Maybe it means that every DAW has to develop generic things which should be translated across all DAWs and their “generic” devices… :thinking:

1 Like

+1 for this feature. This is a great idea. I use several DAWs and this would be a welcome addition to Cubase/Nuendo. Kudos to Presonus and Bitwig for collaborating on this.

As a leader in DAW standards and protocols, Steinberg should be part of a good, basic standard like this. And over time, I’m sure they’ll introduce some of their own ideas to add to this standard too, making it even better. So Steinberg should jump on this sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

All daws have the most basic 2 or 5-band EQ, so I really see no issue regarding that. Obviously it would take effort from Steinberg to make one of their basic eq’s compatible with Dawproject, but this is what the format is about : effort from teams to enhance a shared solution that would benefit all the industry. Because as of today project sharing via MIDI file export is not satisfactory enough

2 Likes

Thats the main word “effort” would steinberg have enough eFfort to give? I am not so convinced.

Even if there was basic compatibility and the missing plugins were just listed in the channel as “!!LittleBlade - missing!!” would be ok.

Agreed. I hope Steinberg and all the other major DAW developers will join this initiative. This would help all DAW users, and there is NO downside to this. It would increase collaboration, and reduce creative friction. I don’t know why someone didn’t do this before. Many people are not single-DAW users any more. And in my case all my clients and collaborators use a variety of DAWs. This would be a wonderful feature.

Steinberg need not follow (run) behind the Runaway boys from Cubase and Runaway boys from Ableton for this concept. Looks like they will merge together soon.
Existing methods are sufficient.

Regards.

Steinberg should get involved . It’s a really good idea. Not just for project sharing but for archival purposes as well.

1 Like

Yes please, we need to be able to collaborate without friction with people using different DAWs.

1 Like

With all due respect, this is a very short sighted view for a feature that will benefit all DAWs in the future.
According to this angle Steinberg should not have integrated ARA either which is developed by Celemony and Presonus since VariAudio is sufficient.

1 Like

“sufficient” – seems to be the vocab word of the day!

1 Like

Not everything needs to carry over for this to be hugely useful, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Exactly, more than going between DAWs it could prove to be a very useful archive/backup format too.

Could it replace the activity of saving out stems as a backup? I don’t know at this point, but it would be great if it could as you’re left with self-contained file which is a very neat solution.

2 Likes

Though, we’re talking about finite resources to develop/enhance/maintain areas of the program, as an ongoing process, yes.? Then we have to talk about priorities…

So, given there’s a ton of stuff already needing serious attention, I would firmly put this in a ‘nice to have’ category. More vital, often requested areas for developer effort, are already well known and discussed. (hint - click the ‘votes’ button at top of page)

Ofc, I would be happy if audio files can be ported successfully since Importing stems are killing me :smile:

1 Like

That’s my view, even if it was a basic wrapper of all the audio and midi in its correct places it would be really useful and I think it is more than that already.

2 Likes

+1
Highly agreed

1 Like

+1 to this.

Even it certain setting don’t carry over, this still seems miles ahead of any of the previous project transfer protocols. Definitely better that stemming everything out too.

1 Like

+1
I hope all DAW’s adhere to this standard.

2 Likes