Day 1 Newbie Very Frustrated

We’re getting closer!

I was messing about and learned a LOT of things, very few of which make sense to me, but hopefully they will to you.

I have several projects. The first thing I created (the main reason why I’m looking at Dorico) is a Brass Band “template”. I created all the players, assigned voices, etc. and put in one note for everyone.

When that stopped working, I created an SATB choir thing, using the Ensemble tab for SATB and then adding a Piano. That’s where I’ve done most of my experimenting, putting in an entire hymn, some lyrics, measure numbers, etc. just trying things out.

Then I created Test for Ulf per your request.

I also added the ASIO4ALL v2 drivers or whatever that is.

Tonight I went back and loaded the brass band template. It worked!

So I quickly took pictures of everything:
Capture5.png is the first several voices of the brass band in the HALion mixer.
Capture6 is the device control panel showing that I’m using the original driver.

Test for Ulf has similar settings in the mixer and the device control panel. It works!

The one that doesn’t work is the choir thing - Crown Him.

When I first went in to look at the mixer, there was only one channel assigned and it said something generic, like “First up” or “Ready GO” or something that wasn’t even an instrument name. So I assigned channels to all the players and voices to all the channels. This is Capture7 and Capture8.

It still doesn’t work. I’ve verified over and over that it’s now looking at the generic low latency driver, just like the others.

The only “difference” I can remember is that I used the ensemble setup, rather than the individual players.

I will zip CrownHim and BrassBand and include those too for your comparison.

Moving forward:
I’d would love for you to say “do x, y, and z, and Crown Him will be fixed.” You seem to be able to look inside the project and find out everything including what I had for breakfast, so I’m hopeful that you can see a good one and a bad one and tell where I went wrong.

I could try to create another SATB thing with the ensemble (or without), and add a few notes to try it out.

I could try changing either Test for Ulf or Brass Band to use the ASIO4ALL driver and see if that still works, but I’m afraid to.

My biggest concern is that I did something goofy that got CrownHim in this state and I don’t want to do that again, but I need to know where I messed up.

I’m just sort of guessing at the HALion Mixer thing. I’ve seen a few of these softwares, but I don’t know what all the buttons do. Is there a manual for that?

While we’re at it, I notice that in Brass Band some of the voices aren’t assigned, and some of the voices look like they aren’t assigned (like Tenor Horn 1 and 2) but if you hover over the little dropdown, it shows channels 10 and 13 respectively. Perhaps this is another topic, but I’m shaky on the voice assignment and why some of them work and others don’t. As I said, if I get Dorico it will be for Brass Band Arranging, so this will be my default setup. I need all the voices to work all the time.

So I owe you 4 PNGs and 2 zips.

Thanks again SO much. I think we’re close!

Apparently I can only include 3 files in a post. Here are the others from the post directly above.

Oh, the Brass Band file is too big. I suppose I could delete half the instruments or something. I did that and got it small enough I think. It’s not a real brass band, but it’s a representation.

Thanks again.
Brass Band Test Small.zip (1.7 MB)

CrownHim.zip (290 KB)

I’m glad to hear that you got (mostly) sound back.

I’ve looked at your CrownHim project and that has actually the known port mapping issue. I’ve attached a modified version of it. Please download, unzip and load into Dorico, then got to Play Mode and choose Play > Apply Default Playback Template, the project will sound again. And don’t forget to save it again.

Now that sound does come out again when using the Generic Low Latency Driver, I suggest that you stick to that driver and always use from now on. Using ASIO4All was just a suggestion to find out where the problem might be.
Now that it is sorted, let’s forget about it.
CrownHim2.zip (143 KB)

Ausgezeichnet!

This is most encouraging. Everything works.

Just for my cleanup, I’m thinking if I should use the default driver, can/should I remove or uninstall the ASIO4All? I’d like to clean house to keep me from getting confused later. Is that as simple as add/remove programs? Are there any other hooks? Will that delete something the Generic Driver needs?

One more question: In your instructions to me, you said to “choose Play > Apply Default Playback Template”. Is that because you were messing with it? Do I need to do that every time I load a project?

Excellent Customer Service, gentlemen. Thank you. Danke sehr!

Great to hear that Ulf sorted you out! If you are able to get sound with another driver then you can safely uninstall Asio4all. It should be via add/remove programs.

Apply Default Playback Template is a function that will reset the score playback to a default state. If you had any plugins loaded in the project then they will be unloaded and replaced with the default HALion configuration. It can be a useful function to use to get things back to a ‘known good state’. It also is a workaround for some bugs that we’ve fixed for the next update, so hopefully in the future you won’t need to use it in as many situations.