DDP creation in 7.0

Replication house is requesting a DDP.

I have Wavelab 7.0

Can anyone talk me through precisely how to do this or post an articulate video tutorial? I may have used this once, but can’t remember a thing about it.

Thanks much,

David

First, better use 7.2.1.
Then, it’s exactly as doing a CD (use Audio Montage), but from the “Burning dialog”, choose DDP rather than a CD drive.

Hi Philippe,

OK, did the download. Seems simple enough.

To be clear, the contents of the folder (Checksum.txt, DDPID, DDPM3, IDENT.TXT, IMAGE.DAT, PQDESCR), I just send to the replication facility and it’s the same as sending a cdr?

Thanks for your help,

David

To be clear, the contents of the folder (Checksum.txt, DDPID, DDPM3, IDENT.TXT, IMAGE.DAT, PQDESCR), I just send to the replication facility and it’s the same as sending a cdr?

Right.

Philippe

My 2c of advice . .
Burn a CD from the DDP and check IDs and sound fully before sending to the plant.
( I learned this the hard way . . )
Also, use RAR to send a single file.

This is my “paranoid” routine: :open_mouth:
Build DDP from montage -->Rar DDP files and upload to my server → Download DDP and burn CD → Check ID’s and sound with headphones -->Once all checked, send link to client and/or plant.

cheers

Hi Zoundman,

I LOVE YOUR PARANOID ROUTINE! As I’m paranoid as well. However, I don’t know the process for burning a cd from the DDP file. Nor do I know what RAR is or how to use it.

Thanks tons!

David

In Wavelab → Utilities (menu) → Burn Audio CD from DDP Image → Point to where you saved the DDP folder → Click Burn…
.RAR is a file compression method like .zip.
You could use .zip but I’ve been told .rar is safer for internet transfers (not sure).
If you are on Windows you can download WIN Rar or Rarzilla.
On Mac you select the files–>rightclick–>from the popup menu select “Make Archive”
It will make a .zip. I don’t know of a mac utility for making .rar . There must be a few…

I can think of no reason for this.

Paul

As we have veered toward that subject…
Is there an advantage / disadvantage for compressing the files, aside from less time to send it over the internet? Would it be safer just to send the uncompressed file?

I think it’s not so much a matter of compression, but the fact that you have all separate files together in one container file this way. It may save some file size, so that’s an extra bonus.

As for .zip or .rar, I don’t see advantages of one over the other, except that .zip is more commonplace. .rar may have a somewhat better reputation for the checksum and error recovery facilities it has, when used for multiple archived parts. It’s a proprietary format, while .zip is now a standard part of Windows 7.

No difference in safety in terms of getting a perfect copy - which is always expected, of course, as the protocols are supposed to ensure it. But should there be an error in transmission, in some circumstances making an adequate repair is likely to be easier of the file is not compressed; however, even then, solving the issue which caused the corruption is the correct thing to do.

Paul

This is what I had heard… So if there’s no difference, then .zip is more compatible with mac/pc out of the box.

Does anybody have any suggestions on quality checking?

Cheers

My2c re: Zip and quality checking

Check your deliverables … that is, what you are required to deliver. In my jurisdiction at least two major labels have deliverables that call for a ‘zipped DDP’ (not RAR).

I would not think it would be a good idea to send an uncompressed DDP folder.

Here, we prepare the CD in the montage, check it for conformity and track starts and then generate a CD report.

We then prepare the DDP. After that we import the DDP into another program and check the project and the md5 checksum. We also audition the transitions and generate a PQ report in from that program.

We then burn a CD from the DDP and check track starts and listen to it in the same way as a physical production master.

Quickly compare CD report with the PQ report to make sure it’s basically the same while you’re listening.

Good luck.

This is a good idea. Thanks for the tip.