Dealing with duplicate playing techniques after flow import

Hello,

After importing a flow from another file, it brought along a bunch of playing techniques that are duplicates, so now I have two “unis.” techniques, two “div.”'s, two "solo"s, two “soli”, etc.

I’m wondering what the best way is to clean up this mess without accidentally deleting a technique somewhere - ideally a “replace all instances of technique X with technique Y” type of feature. I have a feeling there is no good way to handle this, but thought I would ask. At the very least, some way to flag the locations of where the duplicate technique was used so that I can make sure I manually re-add the technique after deleting the doppelganger.

You might be able to use the Library Manager and compare your project with the Factory settings.

Yeah I already went into the Library manager. Unfortunately it doesn’t help me with techniques in a single file. I had already imported it, made a bunch of changes to things, and then realized that it imported duplicate techniques. I don’t want to use the Library manager to sync over the techniques to the old files because then I’d lose my changes that I’ve made in the meantime, and I don’t remember what all of them are.

This is a definite problem I’ve had before.

At first I used to start all my custom PTs and PBTs with a space and a non-capital letter to distinguish them from the factory techniques… This turned out to be a mistake, and I ended up with muddle, including some duplicates. I have since conformed to the Dorico convention.

Regarding duplicates, I have had to identify all duplicates, and change the technique name to append an iteration number that was visible in the lists. Then it’s a matter of making sure every single expression map assignment for that technique is assigned to just one iteration. Then delete the one no longer in use.

It would be nice if we had some means of showing both for PTs and PBTs what their mutual assignments were. It seems like I brought this up way back, but I think the response was that such a capability was not likely to be considered any time soon.

1 Like