Dear Steinberg

After more use, I too am back to 7.5. I think 8 will be fantastic once the bugs are ironed out, but based on decades of experience this might take another 6 - 12 months. Hurry!

I dont get what any of you are talking about, Cubase 7 ran fine for me as did Cubase 7.5 and now Cubase 8 does too.

There are the odd anomalies but nothing too detrimental. I have saved a plugin database and it was erased somehow, no biggy. 10 minutes wasted, just dont use it until its fixed.

I use alot of plugins too, NI, Sonalksis, reFX, Izotope and a few others.

It truly amazes me how mileage varies from user to user. I’m getting frequent crashes (especially with RIP), the mixer channel widths open at ever increasing widths with each open, menus become unresponsive, amongst other oddities. It does, however, feel much snappier and together than previous versions. There’s just some work to be done, which is to be expected with a .0 release.

Does it work from within the Rack? For me VBC Red appears and works fine in the Rack, even if I disable the other two plug-ins in the Rack. So I can use VBC Red that way but I can’t use as a single plug-in. Just crazy!

I’ve been considering reporting this problem to Slate Digital but no one else is having the same issue.

In general, recording studios will NOT use the latest version .1 program to run. You can never be sure that any software will run efficiently or fairly bug free for about six months at least until they’ve tested what boxes work with the new software. And what works for studios is also important for songwriters and home Project users to take note of. Cubase is the same program for all user versions.
Every other Cubase version will have the caveat that the user must be prepared to take a good look at their systems and OSs, overhaul if necessary and maybe replace.
Cubase isn’t JUST the program. It’s EVERYTHING that works with it. Bugs are not always in the software. They are also in the systems used to run the programs.
If Cubase is unusable then check what you’re using it for or what your system doesn’t like about Cubase because Cubase is NOT buggy as hell. Otherwise you wouldn’t be able to post this thread for the rush.

If you’re thinking of buying Cubase and reading this then buy it if you must but I wouldn’t trust it for a while even though it looks pretty good. For main Projects continue using what works best.
( :mrgreen: Here endeth the lesson in how to get one’s head stoved in in the “cool” corner)

You are definitely right bantam.
However for better or worse I am having a new machine built at the moment so it will be interesting to see how 8 stacks up as the only version on the system. I will only install my essential plugins to begin with and go from there.
I have only myself to blame if it all goes wrong. I have been duly warned.

Well, Cubase can be used so differently in so many different ways. Which platform? How many monitors? That one alone is such a biggie as the user with 4 monitors will have a completely different impression. Are you a bedroom-beater loving LoopMash or heavy midi editing or into composition and scoring?

There are casual users and there are every-day users. I think It’s obvious the…bugs, broken functions, abandoned functions, and “issues” that Steinberg claim work as correctly however it’s not intuitive to the average users. :mrgreen:
They are documented of course in the Issues forum.

So when someone such as iridium (who thinks C7 ran fine) doesn’t understand what “any of you are talking about” it suggests to me that he/she isn’t a pro or every-day user, or at the very least, doesn’t encounter the issues that haven’t been fixed which even Steinberg has admitted need fixing. Please don’t take offense to that Iridium. I’m saying this only based on your prior post. Honestly, I’m not sure the purpose of making a post like that. If it works for you then fantastic! Use and enjoy it. Make your post in the admiration thread. Someday you might encounter an issue that makes you shake your head and change your mind. What will you say then?

This is a .0 release. IMO it’s always better to wait until some fixes or the .5 release.

Personally I think C8 is the best release ever, but it has lots of issues, just like prior .0 releases. The reason I think it’s the best .0 release ever is because there seems to be a slight change of course focusing more on functionality/workflow issues instead of eye-candy wow features that impress newbies. Why are they calling this “Pro?” Is that just marketing or hopefully a real change of course? I’m hoping it’s a change that accommodates every-day users who have IMO been overlooked for a long time! And it’s another reason PT users haven’t migrated to Cubase…at least not so far. :wink:

BTW. I AM an average (Cubase is VERY intuitive) user. I certainly see issues but not as many as seen here by posters who seem to be stressing systems out. Not their fault necessarily but rigging a system it might be advantageous to get as much information about what that’s likely to do to the system as possible before commencing work.

I think It’s obvious the…bugs, broken functions, abandoned functions, and “issues”

Crikey if I had THAT much I’d throw in the towel and use Ableton Live. And don’t all those “broken” things belong in the “issues” section? If you post in the wrong section…

As I have already said somewhere, Cubase is not the only system component. If one doesn’t appreciate that as it applies to the way one works then you either have to change the way you work to suit the Cubase programming intentions or change platform to one that works for you. Cubase has tons of ways of doing the same jobs, especially the average jobs. And not everyone experiences the same bugs and that’s very frustrating as it makes a solution harder to find. Could be someone who mouses around has less bugs than someone who uses shortcuts. Could be one component on the mobo. Some bugs just hang around. All you can do is report them.

Everything is relative. For what I do, Cubase works the best. If it didn’t, I would go for what works better. And yes they have been reported in the Issues section. I use a QconPro with 4 monitors and lots of key commands therefore minimal mouse clicking. My issues might be different than yours.

My reply quoting iridium was questioning why even post here if everything works for him/her? The thread title is about frustrations and issues with C8. There are plenty of Praise & Thanks posts to say everything works great.

IMO if Steinberg continues to focus on functionality and workflow the opportunity for PT users crossgrading to C8 would be great…considering the current state of PT.

Thank you beta testers. I’ll be passing on C8 . Typical Steiny fashion I must say

@OP: sorry to hear about your woes, but if I may ask, why did you upgrade so soon? Was there something in 8 you absolutely needed now? I am still on 6.5.3 and waiting for 8.2 before upgrading, as a rule I tend to postpone upgrading until a few months after the release, and only if there are new features that I need.

Developers have an obligation to release finished and thoroughly tested products, but the user feedback is not unanimously bad, it seems hit and miss.

My reply quoting iridium was questioning why even post here if everything works for him/her? The thread title is about frustrations and issues with C8. There are plenty of Praise & Thanks posts to say everything works great.

The reply is valid because it’s a reference to not everyone is having this problem leaving the mute question “Can it be fixed at the user end at all?” and “Why the hell isn’t this happening to him?” I suppose what’s annoying about it is that it offers no immediate solution and is just an observation. Cubase might not be perfect but we have to take account that we’re not either. Not a demand but just keep it in mind.
I had a little wobbler yesterday with GA having pretty bad latency although nothing else did. Had to rack my old memory banks before embarrassing myself posting here for an hour or so after interrogating my soundcard settings etc. and came up with “Turn Constrain Delay off!” Worked! Have to check my old versions now to see if there’s been a change.
Cubase is just like any studio or band for that matter. There’s always something to fix. Sometimes it can be done but sometimes you just lose your rag and have good old argument, dummies get thrown… etc. :smiley: Thrown a few myself but I tend not to question someone else’s experience as I find it all valid even if it’s no use at all. At least that area has been considered quickly, usually.
And the “Praise and thanks” posts also have those with different experiences posting.