Declick and Decrakle

Hi Thomas,
Agree 100%. We cannot expect the same performance.
However, Bob seems to have found a quirk in its behaviour where there’s perhaps room for improvement.

Thanks Stingray. I agree it’s great that Wavelab has restoration tools like Restore Rig, the Wavelab 9,8,7 Sonnox before, and the Steinberg tools in Wavelab 6 (I preferred the Steinberg Denoiser over many other tools at the time, and would probably still use it if it was still in Wavelab.)
So I don’t really consider the tools in Wavelab free, I think they’re a part of Wavelab and every part could possibly be figured at a fractional price of the total price. RX now has a stripped down starter edition for a low price that’s a bit more than I would figure the Restore Rig fractional price, but it has a Declick VST plugin that works just as well as the RX Decrackle VST i have to remove the crackle I was removing in the two client projects.

But I think the problem I’ve encountered with RR Decrackle is quite serious (not end of the world serious, but still serious), and I think it’s just an accident waiting to happen for someone else, if it hasn’t unknowingly happened already.
Because the problem is so highly program dependent, there can be whole sections of songs that don’t exhibit the crackling distortion at all when Decrackle is applied, and other sections where it’s completely obvious in headphones. So someone could process a whole song with Decrackle at 50% after spot checking some parts with crackle and adjusting to rid the crackle, and they can end up with whole sections that now have crackling distortion where there was none originally.

I really hope that Steinberg tests the files I’ve named. If nothing else, the Pink Floyd track. Just process the whole file with Decrackle at 50% and then listen to the whole song in headphones. The section I’ve listed will have new crackling distortion, and the rest of the song will be relatively clean. The other songs I’ve listed will probably act the same, although it might take 60% or 70% to test those, or maybe not, I don’t remember for sure. So it’s a weird problem. And it’s not even loud parts of the files. It’s mostly relatively lower level spots in the songs.

It would be one thing if it happened with the Wavelab 9 Sonnox or the Izotope RX plugins but it doesn’t. They don’t exhibit this at all with the same files.

Hi Kay, were you able to reproduce the problem?

Hi,

we are still investigating that issue. We will keep you informed.

cheers
Kay

… and they regularly do crazy deals, like right now, $29 until the 27th. The plugins work perfectly in WaveLab.