Dedicated Jazz Post

I am also waiting for chord notation in Dorico.
So I am really very interested to know how it will be managed.

But I can’t follow your statement about Finale.
If I had a quick advice to the Dorico team about chords it would be:
Make it at least as easy as in Finale for the user to create his own chord library.

I use Finale since decades and all my scores - I write scores for Musicals - need chords.
At one point I took the time to create my own chord library with help of the Chord Suffix Editor in Finale.
My library consist of about 100 chords suffixes.
I decided on my own how each suffix should be written.
It means I choosed how and where each character should written, the font and font size for each character, if parenthese should be used, I also choose on my own the horizontal distance between each character as well as the vertical position for each character …
After finishing this custom library I never had to look back and I use it for each of my work.
The only changes I make are sometimes to eventually add a new chord or if I change my mind about how a chord should look.
It is also very easy in Finale to replace chords from an older library with chords of your up-to-date library.

So I do hope Dorico will be at least as flexible as Finale in this subject and will allow the user to have control on each aspect of the chord.

On my side though I appreciate some automatism, I really do need the full control on how things should look like.
Considering how many opinions one can find on this forum on how a chord should look like I doubt that one can please everyone.
One solution is to give the user, among other possibilities, at least the ability to completely define how a chord should look like … as in Finale.

@Miere Cat: And though this forum is about Dorico I would really like to know what you could not achieve in a chord library within Finale! In case you find my question to off-topic feel free to PM.

I would add as a must the possibility of Swing being applied to playback with various swing settings (Cubase knows this very well BTW).
BTW this is the statement of Daniel about swing playback which unfortunately does not seem to be high on Steinberg priority list.

from this thread: