Default Instrument does not work

Hi the team,
When I create a new project, I can choose the Instrument for Default Layer.
Once the project is created, the instrument does not match with what I chose.

The instrument shown is that of the default Layer. Unless you never started the program before (or applied “Clean All User Data”), the default Layer is created automatically when you started the first time with the Instrument set there. You can also save the default Layer (template) at any time.

When you create a new Part or Layer, that template is chosen to create a new Layer.
Admittedly, you would probably expect the default Layer to be changed when you change that setting, we may want to add a question if you really want to do that and apply, thanks for pointing out. For now, just set the Layer Instrument and “Save Default layer”, that would do what you expected.

You said “the default Layer is created automatically when you started the first time with the Instrument set there. You can also save the default Layer (template) at any time.”

But what is this option “Default Layer” when you create a new project ?

The default layer is stored on your local machine, and whenever you create a new Layer, the default Layer uses this template. A new Layer is also created when you create a new project.
What you see in the hub is the Instrument of the default Layer.
Your concern is valid, if I change the Instrument in the hub, I expect it to be default for any new Layer. But a Layer is much more than just the Instrument. We will add a question when you change the Instrument in the hub, and a default Layer already exists, if you want to apply this instrument to the default Layer instead of “xxxx” (previous setting).

1 Like

Reminder.
It has not been added yet.

next version

Version 1.4.0.823 (Mac), This is still an issue. Set HALion 7 in the Hub (Default Layer Instrument) and it still shows a failed to load “<<<! HALion Sonic !>>>” in the layer that is created. I don’t have HALion Sonic loaded, only HALion 7.

I corrected the layer by loading HALion 7 into it.
Then chose Menu:Layer / Save Default Layer.
Closed VST Live
Loaded VST Live, Default Layer Instrument still shows HALion 7
Chose New Project
New empty project still displays a failed to load “<<<! HALion Sonic !>>>” in the layer that is created.

Please advise

Just tried 1.4.1.826… same behavior. Default Instrument not saving.

… we’ll check. Meanwhile you could installe “HALion Sonic”, it’s for free. Just start the “Steinberg Download Assistent”, select the “VST Live” category, select VST Live and on the right you should see “HALion Sonic”.

/Michael.

Not here. Did as you described (using Padshop), default Layer is fine with new project and every subsequent New Layer.
What can be confusing may be the Hub reverting to Halion Sonic? After you saved the default Layer with Halion 7, make sure next time you start VST Live to have Halion 7 set in the Hub as well.

One mor thing: if you have saved a Default Part (or Default Song), the Part Layer will “overrule” the Default Layer and load whatever was in the saved Default Part (which may be in the Default Song).

1 Like

Genious!!! That was it. Default Song. It was overwriting the Default Instrument set in the startup hub.