Default Instruments Not Loading Despite Re-Install

Greetings.

I love Dorico so far, but the only thing that has never worked for me are the default HALion Symphonic Orchestra Instruments.

According to the videos and all the forums I’ve read, Dorico should automatically assign instruments while you are working in Setup Mode. The only instrument that’s ever been assigned on my computer is “First Contact” for whichever instrument I set up first, every following instrument, no matter what it is, comes up blank. I’ve also tried “Load Sounds For Unassigned Instruments” and “Apply Default Playback Template” to no avail. I can even see the lights flashing on HALion and can see that it’s assigning things, but it only assigns blank instruments.

I have now uninstalled and re-installed Dorico, HALion Sonic and Symphonic Orchestra twice now and the exact same thing is still happening. I’ve poured over the forums and I’ve found people with similar issues on Windows, but I’m running a Mac. I’m completely baffled.

Please help!

Can you check that the following paths all exist?

/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/HALion
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/HALion Sonic SE
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Symphonic Orchestra
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/VST3PresetCompatibility

These are the folders where all of the HALion Sonic SE 2 and, crucially, the HALion Symphonic Orchestra content should be installed on your computer. The actual .vstsound archives that contain the samples should be in /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/HALion/VST Sound/VST Sound - HSO, and there should be 26 files in that folder.

Hi Daniel,

The only paths along these lines that I saw were what I’m showing in this photo. (This is all under Library):

That looks like your user library folder, not the library in the root of your system drive. Try choosing Go > Go To Folder in the Finder menu and then paste /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/ into the box, and click Go. Hopefully you’ll then see the folders listed in my first reply.

Ok look like all the folders you mentioned are here. How can we get everything working?

Try this : Frequently asked questions: try this thread first - #5 by PaulWalmsley - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

That did it! Thanks!