default position of tie when two voices appear

Hello,
In the following example, the placement of the tie is not precise.

I, of course, can control the tie in Engrave mode, but it would be great if Dorico can intellectually find a proper position of the tie.

Can I set a general value for this? I cannot find an option in Layer options and Notation options.
Any ideas to resolve it generally?

In Engraving Options–Ties, there are quite a few settings for ties, but I didn’t see anything that could address this. You might check there, as I could have easily missed something. It’s a pretty thick section.

Thank you, but I cannot find any options of tie placement for two voice.

I might be wrong, but this looks to me as the typical kind of job that still has to be done by hand, in Engrave mode…

Please compare it with other applications:

Sibelius First 2019 (using voice 1 and 2)
Screenshot 2019-02-07 14.04.23.png
Finale 25.5 (using additional voice on each entry)
Screenshot 2019-02-07 13.11.28.jpg
Finale 25.5 (using layer 1 and 2)
Screenshot 2019-02-07 13.12.54.jpg
Sibelius First does not place tuplet bracket ideally, but it places the tie ideally.
Finale does place the tie not so ideally, but OK.

I think that most features in Dorico are intellectually optimised already than other applications, so I believe the position of the tie for this also could be automatically ideally placed. (Considering that most features in Dorico have been intellectually optimised in the comparison of other applications, the position of the tie for this case should be able to automatically ideally placed.)
Screenshot 2019-02-07 14.04.23.png
Screenshot 2019-02-07 13.12.54.jpg

Hi Pkro,

I agree that this should be placed ideally from the start.

Another (and for all I know, highly incorrect) way to achieve it without going to Engrave mode is to cut the ties, swap the voice order of the middle two notes, then reinstate the ties.

I agree that some optimizing work on ties (and maybe slurs?) could still be done… I often find myself moving those, especially at the boundaries of the systems, or when I need to slurs (from top and bottom notes in a chord to top and bottom notes of another chord — that’s more a problem I find in “condensed” staves or piano reductions, and I’m not sure whether this is a “Gould approved” notation, but it does exist, and a lot!).
When the most important features still missing have been implemented, I’m confident the team will bring Dorico higher in terms of AI positioning, future is promising :slight_smile: