Default rhythmic value

If I’m not mistaken, there is no way to override Dorico’s behaviour that it picks quarter note for the rhythmic value when note entry mode is invoked in an empty bar. In my workflow, this results in countless extra key clicks for changing the rhythmic value back to what it was. It’s quite annoying because it’s constant correcting of a wrong value.

Could a Note Input preference be considered in a future update? “Remember rhythmic value when re-entering Note Entry mode”?

n

Could you be a bit more specific about exactly what you’re doing? If you have a note selected and type Return or Shift+N then the note value of the selected note will be chosen. If you’re starting note input in an empty bar or at a rest, then what note value would you expect Dorico to choose?

The note value that was last selected. If I have, say, half note selected as the note value, and I leave the caret mode to do something else, and then go to an empty bar and enter caret mode, the note value changes to quarter-note.

FWIW I have also noticed this when inputting music. It’s not difficult to change the value before you start, but I do find myself forgetting to do that fairly often.

Yes, that’s an issue, where I quite often have to erase the unwanted quarter note and restart with the desired note value …

That happens to me too quite often! It would be very convenient if the quarter note ”preset” would be used only the very first time, and after that it would be whatever was used last!

Reviving this to see if there’s a solution or a change in a later version (I’m on 3.5). I’m struggling a bit when I forget that it’s resetting to 1/4 note value on ever bar.

It only ‘resets’ when you leave note entry mode. It pays to get used to staying in note entry mode and navigating around your score as you add notes.

I have the same problem. This is particularly the case when I am working without the LH panel open and I cannot see what is selected. Changing the default to the last value used would also help me.

Thanks,
David

2 Likes

Depending how one defines leave, I would say “not exactly.” The times this reset catches me off guard most is when I am (say) entering eighth notes in the Clarinet part and then jump up to the Flute by double-clicking and get quarters instead of eighths.

I have generally learned to reset for eighths before entering notes in the Flute, but it would be nice if the caret remembered the most recently typed rhythmic value.

Double-clicking a staff re-invokes the caret and resets to the default note value of quarter/crotchet. If you can bring yourself to use the up arrow to get from the clarinet to the flute, Dorico will remember whichever note value you were previously inputting.

This is obviously a non-issue if you use pitch before duration input, so that can be another option too.

True, but if I am moving from partway through the measure in the Clarinet to the start of the same measure in the Flute, it is just as easy to reset the note value as to move the caret back with the arrow keys.

It’s ultimately a workflow situation where one (currently) has to align one’s habits with the demands of the program.

Heh. I’ve always found up then Cmd/Ctrl-Left quicker than reaching for the mouse, but horses for courses.

1 Like

I’m having trouble with this quite often.

For example, I enter a long passage of mostly 16th notes in violin 1.
Then I need to click at the right spot, measures back, on violin 2 to continue note entry for that instrument, also in mostly 16th notes. (in other words, the two violin parts are not playing the exact same rhythm)
But Dorico resets to quarters.
Sometimes when my brain is in “note input mode” I accidentally enter many measures of quarter notes before realizing it’s not entering the 3 beats of 16th notes I intended.

It’s not ALWAYS practical to simply “navigate” using the arrows. In this particular case, that means backing up through measures, sometimes dozens of them. Not the most efficient way to work, it would seem to me.