Defect: Unable to Quit Dorico from Menu; Must Force Quit

This applies to Macintosh. I’ve discovered that if one closes all projects and windows Dorico continues to run, but there’s no way to quit the application from the menu.

Steps to reproduce

1. Launch Dorico.
  1. Set Preferences > General > When the last window is closed: to Do nothing.
  2. Create a project.
  3. Immediately close the project window.
  4. Menu is reduced to a single item (Dorico) and Quit is not available.

Incomplete Dorico Menu.jpg
At this point the only way to terminate the application appears to kill it via Force Quit… or the kill command in Terminal.

System information:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB
Boot ROM Version: MP61.0116.B17
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18

System Version: OS X 10.11.6 (15G1004)
Kernel Version: Darwin 15.6.0

+1 same here…
Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-22 um 12.47.07.png

Or right click the Dorico icon in the dock and click Quit.
I followed your steps exactly, and saw everything that you saw, except that it quits just fine from the dock.

Thanks for the heads up about quitting from the Dock. Regardless, I would still classify this as a defect and it actually has deeper implications.

Since the menu has been reduced to a single item with no ability to do anything useful, one’s only option is to quit the application and launch it again. I probably should have mentioned that in the original post, but it wasn’t in the front of my mind at the time.

Yes, we know about this problem. If you specify that Dorico should not show the Steinberg Hub after closing the last project window, it ends up losing its global menu bar. We will hopefully have a fix for this in the first post-release update. As a workaround for the time being, don’t disable the Steinberg Hub in Preferences.