Delete bars

Whether I am in edit mode or not, I cannot delete a bar.

In edit mode, I position the input cursor at the end of the bar to the left of the bar I want to delete, hit shift-b, type -1, hit enter, but nothing happens
In non-edit mode, I highlight the barline to the left of the bar I want to delete, hit shift-b, type -1, hit enter, but nothing happens.

Is the popover appearing at all, or are you typing blind?

Try selecting a note within the measure you wish to delete. Then SHIFT+B -1.

I also have a problem with deleting the last bar of my score, the issue arises because of ‘incomplete’ bar at the end of score, please see attached screen capture. The score is 2/4 tempo, but the last bar has only a quarter note and I used ‘pick-up’ bar to create the last bar with quarter note duration. Then an extra bar is automatically generated. How to delete this bar?

You don’t need to fiddle with time signatures or pick-up bars. Just input your music, select the rest at the rhythmic position where you want the final barline to appear, invoke the bars pop-over with Shift-B and type ‘final’.

Dear Florian,
Thanks for the method of using bar pop-over for the ‘final’ bar, I tried it and it works in my other scores but not this one. It is a convenient way. However, while I can get the irregular bar, I still can’t delete the last bar in this score (but I can delete the last bar or any bars in my other scores). I remember encountering this similar problem some time ago and the real problem was that the last bar was not empty (there is still some objects attached to one of the staff). In that instance, once that last object was deleted, the last bar could be deleted in the usual manner. But in my present score, I zoom in but can’t see any objects attached to the last bar. I have also individually deleted all the empty staff in this last bar. It still can’t be deleted!!!


Try deleting the rest(s) in the final measure (just in case they are “real” rests, and then make sure no dynamics (hairpins, tempo change, etc.) stretch to the penultimate bar line (as you mention), and then try Write > Trim Flow.

If you do not have the "indicator flags signposts showing, they might indicate something in that final measure that you need to remove.

You possibly need to delete that pickup bar meter change - effectively you’ve created a final bar that’s intrinsically linked to the 1-beat bar before it. Then try following the instructions from Florian.

Yes, I have tried deleting all objects, rests, sign posts, etc. that could be linked to the final bar, but this final bar still stubbornly clings on to my score (only this score, I have no problem with my many other Dorico scores). As experiments, I also created some empty bars at the end of score and number them, then I deleted them one-by-one. What I found was that Dorico always (only for this score) appends one extra bar to the end after deleting the requested bars. I.e. if I add 3 more bars to the end of score (with the empty last bar that can’t be deleted), and number them B1,B2,B3,B4. If I select bar B2 and delete 2 bars (shift-B, -2), then I get bar B1, bar B4, plus one extra bar at the end (while I’m supposed to get only bar B1 + bar B4 in the normal way). See attached screen capture.

Maybe there is something wrong with this file, before I worked on it, I imported it as xml from Sibelius 7.5.


Hm. I suppose we or the developers would need to see the file to help you any further.
A few things I would try, no idea if they will do any good in your case:

What if you split the flow (Write > Split Flow) somewhere near the end of the piece and input the last bars again? Does the problem persist?

What if you create a real 1/4 time signature instead of the pick-up solution you described in your first post? (You can hide time signatures via the properties panel.)

Sometimes Dorico creates hidden time signatures in every bar of an xml import. Did you check this?

Try to copy the music (perhaps except for the last bars) to a new flow. I’ve had a situation where in an imported file an invisible time signature could not be selected. Thus it would not be copied either…

I hope this helps!

I have had this problem in a few scores and split flow was the only way i could get rid of the extra bar.

If you’re still having problems with this, chengjm, please attach your project here (in a zip file) and we should be able to figure out what’s getting in the way.

I use ‘split flow’, and indeed it solves the problem! After that, I just delete the new flow with only 1 bar.

Although now the extra last bar is gone, I found that I still can’t make the last bar to have only one crochet note. If I force the bar to be 1 crochet, then the extra bar problem comes back. Actually the original problem is still inside the score, but just the last bar was gone by the ‘split flow’ directive. Please see the two screen captures showing this issue.

I attach my score here if you would like to investigate it further. I’m working on the 2nd flow. Note that if you add n bars to the end of score using ‘shift-B, +n’, you get n+1 new bars at the end of score (i.e. one extra bar). But if you add n bars anywhere else in the middle of the score, then only n new bars are added. Perhaps one key clue is that it was imported from xml from Sibelius 7.5.

Badinerie (1.62 MB)

Just a quick update. After I did the above (i.e. use ‘Split Flow’), I used ‘Trim Flow’ to delete the last bar and everything works fine now! The last bar has exactly 1 crochet, and I can add N bars and get N new bars exactly (instead of N+1 new bars), everything works the right way now. I.e. the fault in the score is cleared.


This worked for me. Thanx