deleted

thanks for the help, the file ended up much better again

What a big mix…Did you invest in some new reverbs? Sound convincing.

Parts of her voice (''I don’t know") you drenched even deeper and that is fighting with the rest of the mix.
Maybe use another reveb with less low.

If i have to nitpick it will not be about the mix, seems fine here.
It’s the singer, it sounds as if she is not at all comfortable with the song. Where you would expect her to belt out
she holds in and vice versa. And the lines are sung really within boundries.
Typically how a first session would sound when you are learning the lines.

Nice voice though, it’s not the she can’t sing, if she made it more her won it could be way better I think.

wip (dutch word for seesaw but also dutch slang verb for f*ck)

Greetz Dylan.

It’s very reverby, I’d say. Makes it sound sort of soupy.

“soupy” that made me laff hard :sunglasses: ya I’ve got nowhere to go but down :laughing:
little less verb
tried automating the voice a little cause of what dylan was sayin, which was right
some slight de-essing
bit fuller mix, might be really soupy now

lol, should I take more verb out. I wish reverbs were meant to be used, lol it is supposed to be the distance voice thing :laughing:

I’ll give the slang version a try over here, “wanna wip!”
:astonished:

Sounds good to me Bob, nice song.
I’d say the vocals are a bit too loud, especially if you are going for a distant sound, like you said.
The drums sound really good imo, samples or just really well recorded?

thanks mate, I agree, I’ll trim the back voice down some on the next pass. I play the drums from a 6 pc yamaha midi kit, sometimes I do have a real kit here but this was samples, one of 5 kits I made from various samples.

:smiley:

But in a way its an apt kinda description… even though this is a tweaked mix it still does sounds ‘soupy’ to me and therefore lacking definition overall. :confused: The chorus sounds a bit sleepy to me too - I kept wanting to hear a bit more movement there and in fact I did actually wonder if a slightly faster tempo overall would have been beneficial? Anyway, good singer AND I don’t think the vocal is too forward in the mix at all, in fact I’d be inclined to pull it UP more! :astonished:

:sunglasses:

man, vocal levels are like snares here :laughing: I know what ya mean with the chorus though. I think part of it is building the song by yourself, I just started with a clicktrack and played my acoustic through it. even though I had an idea, once I recorded all the tracks there was a new realization, but then its kinda too late unless ya start over. I didn’t know who was going to do vocals, the way leanne sang, this could’ve been a whole different song. wish I could’ve had at least some demo vocals early on, that might have helped too.
anyhoo, always appreciate your thoughts and ideas man, keep’em comin

:laughing:

I know what ya mean with the chorus though. I think part of it is building the song by yourself, I just started with a clicktrack and played my acoustic through it. even though I had an idea, once I recorded all the tracks there was a new realization, but then its kinda too late unless ya start over.

I tend to throw a whole bunch of stuff down on the canvas at first, and then spend even more time later peeling much of it away. Adding new parts, revising old parts etc etc… but there’s always a ‘main’ instrument goes down first to help define the song initially and quite often that part may not even make it to the final arrangement/mix.

could’ve had at least some demo vocals early on, that might have helped too.

It does help. I’m working on a track for someone at the moment and one of the first things I did was once I’d got a main instrument down (piano) was to ask them to sing a guide vocal for me. It really helps to have the vocal there so you can more easily build your arrangement around it. :sunglasses:

Beautiful song. I love her voice. I’m in no position to judge … but, I would say if anything it seems like the background is trying to overpower the foreground (vocals) making them almost seem like they’re fighting for space.

It is a big mix. It almost seems to me that it could start out a little more calm and gradually build towards the first “pre-chorus” or “chorus” or whatever the hell you want to call it :confused: .

I didn’t have a chance to listen to the previous versions to see where you have gone so far …

One way or the other … I like it!

thanks guys, I appreciate listens and comments from here, I will try another mix.
for years my music never had vocals, I was strickly instrumental. even though I’ve had vocals in my songs for a while now, I still consider myself a novice at mixing them.
theres a fine line between what I like and whats right in a mix. my personal preference is that vocals be part of the band atmosphere, obviously too low separates the singer from the music, but at the same time, too high and it comes across to me the vocals sound added to the music later.
finding that happy median is an on going experiment I’m loving/hating :laughing:

Curious what tools you use for that, do you ride the vocals on the track?
Making every piece or even word of the track equal in loudness can give great results.
Compressors alone are not enough for me.

I opened a thread about this

Greetz Dylan.

Hi

I thought I was in the eighties again. :wink: :mrgreen:

I find that many plugin reverbs often don’t sink into the back ground very easily. Some of them put everything up front on a flat plane.

Good song.

Cheers

yup I know, and the out is really important. some of them have a bit of noise too just before they fade.
thanks dave, cheers backatchya

cool, I read through that thread and some of the articles mentioned, good stuff
I very seldom use compressors on vocals, mostly bass
I just bring the lead vox track into wavelab, do some de-essing and try to even the spikes
then back in cubase I’ll ride faders with the music.

thanks everyone again, the mix is better than the 1st, thats all we can hope for. I don’t always have the luxury of getting a working vocal track in early to work the song around, thats a bit frustrating. but whatta ya gonna do.
right now think I’ll have a cold one…cheerzzz