Deleting Steinberg Downloads Folder

Hi I’ve been doing some much needed file management on my computer, specifically my downloads folder, and the largest folder is the Steinberg one containing 130 GB. I have Cubase 9.5, Absolute 3, a couple Groove Agent sets, and WaveLab LE that came with a Zoom recorder. My concern is that if I delete this massive folder, things will not go good for me. I’ve searched for an answer, but couldn’t find anything specific. So my question is: is it safe to delete this folder to clear up some space on my hard-drive or should I just keep it where it’s at?
Thanks

Yikes… no one wants to touch this one with a 10 foot pole…

That folder probably should not be deleted. Depending on how you set up during download and install it sounds to me that it probably contains sound related files. 130gb is huge so, who knows, it might even contain all of your projects and be one big pool for all of them.

It might be good if you show a screenshot of what some of the folders/files look like. Maybe then someone will recognize what they might be and give a recommendation to delete.

Regardless of the answer you receive, if it was me thinking about deleting this folder, I would rename it then try CB out for a few weeks to ensure it was ok.

Bottom line… my opinion, don’t delete it. :wink:

Regards. :sunglasses:

\

If you mean the download folder created by the Steinberg Download Assistant (By default C:\Users{{USERNAME}}\Downloads\Steinberg), then yes, it’s safe to delete. You can redownload all of your programs and plugins in the future.

It’s not a bad idea to take a look inside this folder to make sure that you didn’t save anything important there by accident, but that’s unlikely.

I have some reservations about this. Using Steinberg Library Manager, I see certain content is installed (at least for me) in the download assistant folder. (C:\Users{{USERNAME}}\Downloads\Steinberg\WIN64.…). In particular, The Kit SE, Raw Ambience, Guitar Harmonics.

So, I’d make backups of everything downloaded, and NOT delete content that shows up in these locations according to Steinberg Library Manager.

Just downloaded Cubase 12, was noticing a HUGE space getting occupied by downloaded data, then searched and ended up here.

After some very careful assessment, my take on this is different than @ColinPark (btw thanks for letting me know about the “Steinberg Library Manager” tool). All of my stuff is installed in I guess where they should be. None are in C:\users<username>.…, including even the ones he mentioned like “the kit se”, “raw ambience”, etc. (Guitar Harmonics seems to be a free plug-in that can be found in Steinberg’s web site that I don’t plan on using)

This whole process of figuring out where things are actually got me searching on the famous “Allen Morgan” demo projects that keep lurking around when you use the Media Bay. Like “where the f**k are these projects located anyway”? Turns out these read-only projects are embedded in the Rock Pop Toolbox Content Set, so you cannot really search for the project files in Windows Explorer for example.

On the other hand, other demo projects that are there in the Steinberg Download Assistant under Cubase Pro 12 – namely the Austin Hull and Mendel Bij De Leij demo projects – are just dumped into the download folder as .zip files. You will have to manually process these files before using them… I mean why the inconsistency?? Steinberg sometimes is making life very difficult for its users.

That’s because you chose to install them “in place”. The default installation location for the content libraries is “C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound”. You can change the default library folder by running the Steinberg Library Manager and clicking the gear icon to the top right.

You can use the same tool to safely move libraries to any other folder.

To clarify, the Rock Pop Toolbox projects are “Construction Sets”. They’re meant for quickly putting together your own songs using the Rock Pop Toolbox Audio and MIDI loops. They’re not demo projects.

The demo projects from the Steinberg Download Assistant are full original songs. They’re not actually part of Cubase’s content.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah after your explanation it makes more sense to me.