Demo Impressions

I’ll only focus on positive stuff …

• Halion Sonic SE: I can’t say off hand that it has many more or better sounds than Halion One did in C5 (they sound the same to me at first listen) but the routing and editing is pretty good so “winner”.

• Import Midi File / Destination: Good choices… Instrument, MIDI, or Halion Sonic.

• Mouse Over: This is a small thing but a pretty good improvement over C5 imo. You no longer have to actually select clips to size, fade or use the volume handle so “reduced clicks” in that case and good move.

• New Graphic Look: Not really new to me having used Sequel for a few years but it looks good on Cubase, the clips ect, etc.

• Move Selected Tracks To New Folder: This is a no-brainer and way overdue. Good one. My only question would be why doesn’t it work in the mixer for groups the same way. Anyway, good stuff.

I don’t really have a need for note expression and I haven’t tested the new stretching yet although I’m pretty familiar with Elastique Pro so I think I can safely say that it will sound good without even hearing it.

My only question would be why doesn’t it work in the mixer for groups the same way.

Slightly more convoluted, but you can create your group, select all tracks you want to send, hold down shift/alt & set routing for all in one go.

Yeah, I’m a long time Cubase owner so I’m well aware of the current methods. Thanks Grim… I know you couldn’t know that and were only being helpful.

Appreciated.

• Move Selected Tracks To New Folder> : This is a no-brainer and way overdue. Good one. My only question would be why doesn’t it work in the mixer for groups the same way.

To “sync” the mixer and the project view would require in large part a fundamental re-design due to VST Outputs not being able to be hidden.

Sometimes people post for the reading benefit of others and not necessarily the OP.

Cheers

Not sure what the above has to do with group bussing? If you automate group bussing (“Selected Tracks To New Group”), not sure how any of the above applies. You’re just automating something that’s already possible manually, putting a bunch of tracks into a new group bus in the mixer like it does with folders in arrange?

I also have no clue what you mean about “VST Outputs not being able to be hidden.”?

Sometimes people post for the reading benefit of others and not necessarily the OP.

Ok, thanks. I assumed he was talking to me since he directly quoted me before his reply. I did appreciate his reply.

The “sticking point” to having a synced or mirrored view of tracks/mixer channels is VST Instrument Outputs because they cannot be hidden without hiding VST Instrument tracks as well, which feeds into the whole problem of having so-called multi-timbral VST instruments and as such it will take a while to address but it’s great to see more options in relation to track handling and one can only hope that this will continue.

Again, you obviously are talking about something else entirely. My only comment was to automate group bussing in the mixer. I never said anything about “mirrored” or “synced” views. :question:

1. Shift select three tracks in the mixer.
  2. Select a menu “Selected Tracks To New Bus”
  3. A new group bus is created and all of the selected tracks are assigned to it. Done.

I have no idea what any of what you talked about above has to do with that as relates to “hiding”, “syncing” or anything else so … sorry. My comment was only related to automating the grouping of audio channels into a group bus channel, nothing else.

So… I’m confused (still) as to what you’re talking about exactly. Sorry.

I also have done “Can Hide” for VST Instrument outputs in the mixer so again, no idea what you’re talking about as relates to not being able to hide VST Ouput channels without hiding Instrument tracks, even though none of it has anything to do with my initial comment.

I’ll just say “thanks?” and stay confused. :unamused: Thanks.

Move Selected Tracks To New Folder: This is a no-brainer and way overdue. Good one. My only question would be why doesn’t it work in the mixer for groups the same way. Anyway, good stuff.

Maybe you are confused with the terms “automate” as opposed to “macro” since obviously steinberg have defined a new method to send audio tracks to summing groups but I agree it was good of steinberg to do this and in addition allowing the ability to place tracks in a new folder in an easy way.

What “new” method of sending audio to summing groups do you speak of? If you have a macro that will create a new group and assign the currently selected tracks to it all in one go, please share. If not… again… no clue what the heck you’re talking about.

Are you intentionally yanking my chain? :laughing: You’re confusing the heck out of me. :unamused:

…allowing the ability to place tracks in a new folder in an easy way.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. Sending tracks to a new group in the mixer should be as simple as it is now to send tracks to a new folder in arrange.

You’re giving me a small headache (trying to follow you) but I think we agree. :smiley: I think. Thanks.

Yes and then Grim came in with the suggestion that you can send audio tracks to group outputs via SHIFT + CLICK. :nerd:

:confused: Yes, I’m doing that in C5.5 now which is nothing “new” so again (“new method” ?), no clue what you mean. We apparently have a severe failure to communicate.

I do appreciate your thoughts, even though I can’t quite decipher them. Thanks Brains.

Please take the last word. I’m really starting to get a headache… all I suggested was selecting a few tracks and hitting a function that threw them all into a new bus all at once… that’s all… knowing how it works already. Not even sure how we got here with “hiding” and “syncing views” and “new methods” that aren’t new and all the other stuff. :frowning:

If I told you I regret even making that initial basic and very simple observation it would be an understatement.