Detecting Current Version of Steinberg USB Driver Running on a Mac

How can the current version of the Steinberg USB driver that’s running on a Mac be determined?

I’m running OSX 10.15.1. I’ve run the uninstall application for the Steinberg 2.0.2 USB driver, but Cubase reports that it’s still running and only works (albeit poorly) when the driver us uninstalled, which doesn’t make sense.

Mark

Hi,

Do you mean the Audio driver? You can see this in the Control Panel or in the macOS System Preferences.

As far as I know, all current Steinberg Audio Devices are Class Compliant devices. So you can use the basic features without driver (I mean with native macOS driver).

Hi Martin,

The macOS System Preferences dialog for Sound displays Yamaha MOX6/MOX8 USB after running the “Uninstall Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver.app that comes with the driver”. See attached pic.

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

This seems the device is Class Compliant, so you can see it even if it’s uninstalled. So you can use the basic features of it.

Oh, ok. Thanks. Can you suggest anything to resolve the following results when I install/uninstall the lastest USB driver:

When the new driver is installed:

• The MOXF Editor works
  • From Cubase 10.5 Pro, only MIDI communicates with the MOXF. No audio or even MIDI to VST instruments works
  • One VST (EZDrummer) indicates “Audio engine inactive”
  • No audio can be played from any application on my Mac
  • The Cubase>Studio Setup>VST Audio System>Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8>Control Panel>CoreAudio Device Settings displays Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8
  • There is no longer an icon for the driver at the bottom of the Mac’s System Preferences window (there used to be)

When the new driver is uninstalled:

• The MOXF Editor does not work
  • All sound and MIDI work in Cubase, albeit there are a lot of dropouts and crackling and the Audio Performance dialog (F12) is showing frequent spikes in performance
  • All audio works across multiple applications
  • The Cubase>Studio Setup>VST Audio System>Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8>Control Panel>CoreAudio Device Settings still displays Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8
  • Still no driver listed at the bottom of the Mac’s System Preferences window

How is it that everything works after the driver is uninstalled, albeit with poor performance? Is the uninstall function that comes with the driver not actually uninstalling it? If it is actually being uninstalled, what is being used as a functioning driver? Is there a place I can go to confirm what version of the driver is being used.

Any strategies for identifying and resolving this issue would be welcomed. This has me thoroughly confused.

I have opened a support ticket with Steinberg and hope to hear from them in a day or so.

Mark

UPDATE: I received Steinberg support today and it was determined that the problem may be with my Yamaha MOXF’s sound card. A help ticket was opened with Yamaha by Steinberg.

SOLVED (finally): There’s an article on the Yamaha Steinberg site that indicates that there is a system extension that’s blocked on Macs when installing the USB driver. I don’t remember ever seeing the warning messages that the OS presents during the installation, but even after applying the fix via Preferences>Security & Privacy, it still didn’t take, after which I would just uninstall the driver. This time, I rebooted my machine after making the change and it took. Who knew?

The only issue remaining is that the audio performance of the driver is pretty dicy. To compensate, I’m having to set and reset the driver’s buffer size between recording and play back. I’m hoping this will be resolved in future releases of the driver, unless anyone is aware of some other configurations I could change to compensate for this behavior.