Device unplugged?

I uninstalled the 1.9.8 USB driver for my UR 22 mk II and decided to install the older 1.7.3 driver to see if it might fix dropouts. I then checked in Control Panel/Programs & Features (Windows 7 64) and there it was, installed successfully.

When I then connected the UR22 today to one of the USB 2.0 sockets on my laptop, it began to install ‘Steinberg UR22mkII’ driver. After a while it said ‘Device unplugged’ with a red X next to it. It failed to install. I tried it in my other USB 2.0 socket, same thing. The USB light just flashes on the UR22.

I uninstalled the 1.7.3 USB driver and then connected the USB cable to see if that would make any difference but it didn’t. So I installed the 1.7.3 again. But basically, the UR22 is currently not active and when loading Cubase, it says it can’t load the Steinberg ASIO driver so it defaults to my ASIO4ALL driver.

It’s trying to install the Steinberg ASIO driver I guess?

EDIT: found it in Device Manager with a yellow warning next to it. Uninstalled it and then reconnected the USB. It started to install the driver but then failed again as you can see in the screenshot I attached. So the question is, what exactly is unplugged?

Hi.

The 1.7.3 driver might not work with UR22 mk2.
I wouldn’t automatically assume that any Steinberg driver works with any Steinberg interface.
Sometimes they update the driver just to support a new model.

The 1.7.3 driver probably doesn’t know and recognize the UR22 mk2.

Thanks misohoza. You’re correct, I uninstalled 1.7.3 and reinstalled 1.9.8 and all is well again. Well, apart from the dropouts. Are there any drivers between 1.7.3 and 1.9.8 that might work or even be worth trying?

There is a 1.9.9 included with Tools for UR 242 or UR44.
You may try to install just the driver from that package, but I haven’t noticed any difference between 1.9.8 and 1.9.9

Thanks. Well I returned the unit today, bought something else. UR22 is probably a great bit of kit and it might just be my laptop.