Diabolical Download Assistant Download speed

Oh dear. Today as part of the new discounts I purchased licenses for Cubase Pro 11 and Elements 11 (Elements doesn’t need a stupid dongle so I use that on my laptop).

Download speed is diabolical. I have a gigabit internet connection and get around 30 kilobytes a second which is ridiculous.

It appears that the hosting company uses a throttling mechanism that allows a certain amount of data before applying the throttle (a common mechanism in proxying firewalls).

So my sysadmin protip - wait for the download to devolve into double digits then hit ‘Pause’ then immediately hit ‘Continue’ - your download should at least revert into almost half a megabyte a second - at least for for a short while. Repeat this process if you need to speed things up.

Not really an answer for you but as an fyi, Content delivery is provided by CDNs, like Akamai or Amazon, not a hosting provider as such.
As far as I know there’s no throttling as you described, done by those services.

As far as I know there’s no throttling as you described, done by those services.

Speaking as a sysadmin by trade, I can tell you definitively they are throttling. You can see this behaviour for yourself by starting a download and monitoring the download speed. It will start ‘fast’ (well - triple digits KILObytes download) then slowly devolve into double digits. If when hitting double digits you quickly ‘pause’ then ‘continue’ the speed will start again in triple digits then slowly devolve into double digits. If you keep pausing and continuing the downloads you will cause the system to treat you as a ‘new’ download each time so you get a new ‘bucket’ that they are using to throttle download speed.

If I were a Steinberg sysadmin I’d be making complaints to the hosting company.

I actually tested this when I read your initial post, and did not see that behavior. I got about 3.6 mB/sec (megabytes per sec)

I have been doing this for several hours and repeatedly I am seeing triple digit KILObyte download speeds after I pause and continue, which slowly devolves into double digits.

Note this may vary by region. I’m in the UK.

I certainly believe you, but as you know there are more variables involved,

Considering the volume of users downloading during a promo sale, I would expect to see a larger number of slow download complaints here.

It should not take me SEVEN HOURS to download 624 megabytes.

Something wrong there. I’m in the uk and picked up Cubase 11 yesterday in minutes

Something wrong there. I’m in the uk and picked up Cubase 11 yesterday in minutes

Yes but today Steinberg announced the new 40% discount so I assume a number of people are taking advantage.

It was announced yesterday though, see Cubase Studio Weeks - Sale

It was announced yesterday though, see Cubase Studio Weeks - Sale

Ok but from a network perspective, bizarre that users should suffer diabolical download speeds.

Agreed. But as far as the cause, I would submit that that’s unknown given the info available.

They announced it yesterday that’s why I got the upgrade from 10.5. I’m glad I got it yesterday then although I noticed all the other parts are a different version as well so I will have to download the updated versions at some point

There doesn’t seem to be anything “diabolical” and the issue seems to be in your side.
Download speed was never an issue for me, even when I was getting full installs of Cubase or Nuendo, with all the libraries (tens of GB).

So today we are getting around 2MB/s which is a VAST improvement.

For reference for those claiming the issue is at my side, here are my SpeedTest results:

The only thing that matters is others experiencing throttles like you say you do, not your speedtest results.

The only thing that matters is others experiencing throttles like you say you do, not your speedtest results.

What does this even mean? Clearly there is an issue here with the CDN when accessed from certain geographical locations. You clearly do not understand how data networks function so if you aren’t going to post anything constructive may I suggest you keep quiet.

While I agree that arguing with you is a waste of time, you may want to notice that you’re the only one in this thread having issues.

I’m pretty certain I don’t understand how data networks function and I’m also certain that you don’t understand what’s happening to your connection, despite you boasting about your competence in the area.

If you aren’t going to post anything constructive may I suggest you keep quiet.