Diatonic Scale Draw?

Hi,

Is it possible to use the Draw Tool in the Key Editor to draw in a scale or arpeggio and have the program enter notes constrained to the diatonic and/or chord tones on the Chord Track or Root Key rather than being always chromatic?

I’m posting this here rather than in feature request because it may already be possible, but some of it might be more in the nature of a feature request. It might also be that I just don’t know how the program (Pro 8) already does this! :blush:

I’d like to be able to Draw and have the notes constrained to any of these – 1) the current chord on the chord track, 2) a chord I input via snapshot learn (snapshot learn would be an option under “chords” in the inspector in the Key Editor and we’d need “learn as chord” or “learn as scale” for the notes learned in the snapshot) 3) a chord on a selected chord pad, including tensions, voicing and inversion.

The idea is to be able to Draw in Scales and Arpeggios based on the Line Type (straight, parabola, etc.) chosen relative to Quantize length and step size. I’d like to be able to hit Key Command to switch from Diatonic to Chromatic Draw. Alt+something to change from Diatonic to Chromatic drawing mode.

Thanks for any suggestions. Let me know if this should be posted, perhaps in a shorter version under “Feature Requests” I think it’s a good one. Your thoughts?

Hi,

In the Key Editor, there is the “Match with Chord Track” function, in the Chord Editing tab. So you can create the chromatic first, and the adapt them (if the track follows the Chord track - Chords or Scales). Unformtunately, this will produce a double notes very probably.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to restrict the Cubase to write only certain notes.

Thanks Martin. I have worked a bit with Match to Chord Track, but appreciate you mentioning it.

I think “Diatonic Draw” would be a very useful feature. I’ll post it as a request and maybe the development team will take it up at some point – not holding my breath – or I’ll eventually learn how to build Macros and/or Logical Editor presets to accomplish something like this, however, both of those are way above my level for now.

Take care. :slight_smile:

Macros can do this. But it’s not the most effective way, to be honest.

Martin, I’ve not even opened up “Macros” or the Logical Editors as yet in terms of learning Cubase. I’ll get there.

I was surprised to find this, diatonic draw, was not the default behavior in Cubase.

I think it would be very powerful to be able to use the draw tool and other line tools to enter notes constrained to 1) a scale of choice, or 2) chord tones of choice – derived from the chord track; chords specified in the Key Editor; or chords learned via snapshot on the fly. For example, I’d be able to set the note length and step size to, say, 8th Notes and then draw a line from point A to point B and Cubase would enter the scale or chord tones within the time-span allotted to the line or shape using only D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#. Ideally, I’d be able to hit “shift” or some other key and suspend the scale entry and have it enter notes chromatically (per normal). Other line shapes would produce arpeggios or wide to closely spaced chord voicing. So, if we’re in D Major, we could put the draw tool on F# and draw up an octave and get only the notes of the D Major scale, or whatever Scale we specify in a drop-down list or whatever. If I had ‘Diatonic Chord Draw’ selected, I’d get an F# Minor Chord (with or without tensions added per selection), if “Scale Draw” is selected, I’d get F# Dorian, or whatever other Tonic Note and Scale Type, I picked.

Anyway, if you or anyone figures out how to do this in Macros, it would be an excellent share. Martin, I know you’re a professional instructor, so I’m not asking for any freebies. As I said, Macros are still out in the future for me and as you say, it really isn’t the best way to do this and, unfortunately, diatonic/harmonic draw is not Cubase’s default behavior. Perhaps the developers will take it up at some point. I’d love and think lots of users would.

Most the programs I’ve seen are pretty weak or primitive in this regard, I think. So much of the EDM/Dance music is based on simple two or four bar loops and Cubase would open new harmonic possibilities to developing ears.

Take care. :slight_smile:

I have another solution, how to solve this, and I’m working on it. I hope it will be available soon. :wink:

Excellent. I look forward to hearing about it at some point. I think it would be such a slick, cool and useful feature for the program to offer. Take care. :slight_smile:

(Correction to my own post. I said F# Dorian, but, obviously, in D Major, F# would yield F# Phrygian)

Any news on this?