Difference between chord input and inputting chords?

Entering notes you can throw in a chord in one go and the caret advances. You can also enter via Q-chord entry, which doesn’t advance the caret until you tell it to. Is there any other difference between the two methods, is it just about how you want to control the caret? AFAIK the two chords are entirely equal, you can filter on notes the same, etc.

Separate question which maybe related, these were entered not in chord mode, and selecting the second note does this which isn’t what I want

Chord

I’d like to filter out these notes

Wondering if that’s possible without manual clicking

As you say, chord mode (q) does two things - it affects how the caret advances and it also means that notes which are created or edited will not overwrite other notes. More generally we use chord mode to mean “merge mode” and non-chord mode to mean “overwrite mode”, so there are some subtle differences in how e.g. copy and paste overwrites the existing material that depend on whether chord mode is on or off.

With respect to your second question, I don’t think there’s a simple way of doing that. Perhaps you can filter by pitch?

1 Like

For the second question…

Select all
Filter>Deselect Only>Notes in Chord> top note
Filter>Deselect Only>Notes in Chord>bottom note

1 Like

Good thinking!

I did not know about the inverse functionality being available via the ‘deselect’ flag, thank you! I’ve been wanting something like that and this is a clever way to do it, effectively doubling all those filter commands.

In non-chord mode, what determines if an input is recorded as a chord or not, timing between when the notes come in? Sometimes I can toss in a chord at one go, and sometimes not, and I haven’t figured out what the pattern is.

Yes, it’s the timing of the MIDI input that affects whether the notes are registered as a chord or not, though I’m afraid I don’t know the precise details.

1 Like