Difference between feature and fix update

They didn’t try to “justify” the pricing. They just explained how it was. And they did it very clearly.
Sure it’s not pocket money pricing but for serious studios it’s a serious consideration, sure. but I don’t think serious studios would whine quite SO much.

I look around and I see too many bedroom capitalists whining for something more for nothing. Makes me wonder who paid for their copy of Cubase they’re so “poor”.

Reaper is good but it used to list a hundred updates a week and I only ever noticed about four of them.

Excuse me, but how do you feel you’ll have to pay for bug fixes when Steinberg is going to release 6.0.6 with the same bug fixes? If you mean lane behaviour, it’s not a bug. It’s a designed feature. If you can’t distinguish between bug and design, I warmly recommend you to remove the word bug from your vocabulary.

Of course they do! These are those professional studios which have lost so much money, because they’ve been unable to use Cubase anymore after C6 upgrade. :smiling_imp:

Just what I’m talking about. I’ll pay for new plugins. I DONT WANT NEW PLUGINS! I want a software that works as they promise is should.

+1

I did not say any of those words (well not as those sentences, anyway) - but you can quote me on this: The bug fixing is free and available next week: they call it Cubase 6.06. Cubase 6.5 has various new features you may or may not want. I can recommend all of them, btw.

My life is quite happy thanks, not sure how you worked out it wouldn’t be because of something I said on here. Still Mr Physcologist, you seem to be happy with what you got, no worries there, provided you are ok with it, that’s all that matters.

Bug fixes should be free, ie Lane behaviour, to charge for the improvements ? = bad business ethics.

I don’t recall asking for more for nothing, just to get the existing stuff working fine. They’ve already stated the lane behaviour will not be changed at all in 6.0.6

In fact I think the 6.0.6 is just the rewire addition is it not ?

For additional content like the synths and effects, I can live with that, and i’d pay for it if I thought they were worth it. And in fact I think 42 quid is reasonable for 2 synths and some effects. But if there is something wrong with the Cubase I use, I dont expect to be forced to pay more to fix it.

6.0.6 isn’t going to do anything with lane behaviour, and if you think that it’s supposed to work that way, then maybe you need to mug to your vocabulary.

I’m not against paying for new content, I am against paying for a freaking bug fix. Which part of that don’t people understand ? Talk about blind fanboism.

How is the pre-6.5 lane behavior a bug?

Well put!

I think all they’re asking for is a stable functional version of what they paid for. Trying to ensure that you’re not simply throwing good money after bad does not equate to being “poor”. It’s being sensible.

Also given that Cubase is not the immediate go-to DAW for most professional studios, I suspect these “poor” people are the ones who actually make Cubase viable.

(Life is a investment) I thought the same thing but its worth it, retrologue is phat and its better than paying $200 plus

Oh come on guy’s (and gal’s) stop all this nonsense !

Steinberg decided they were gonna sell a new synth called Padshop for 49 euro.

What they didn’t say was that they would throw in another (rather excellent) analogue synth and a few new fx filters for free, along with some other improvements to boot and call it 6.5 which is fine. :smiley:

There’s no doubt that lanes will be improved (and other irritant bugs) in due course, it’s not just a matter of telling a few programmers to change a few ##00001## to ##00010## - you can’t change key or chord progression in performance with out telling every one else - same go’s for software houses,no matter who they are or what DAW or plugin they’re working on.

It’s all progressing seriously beyond belied since i got my first PRO 24 on an Atari and, there is (believe it or not) a reason why it is the worlds best seller - it’s a bl88dy good piece of software and it gets better all the time.

Would any one here go and play a ten hour gig every day over a year for free? I don’t think so, the band members will all want paying as would the venue, PA company, van hire, B&B etc etc. So don’t expect Steinberg staff to slave all day and night for free over heady module coding just because a few punters don’t like it, it will get sorted , it usually does, in quite an inovating way - though I don’t thinks we’ll see any major acts, studios or hollywood film stages dumping it over few minor bugs, or because Win 8 displays a wrong font in the right hand corner of a monitor screen, even if it does take a year to resolve, prgrammers need the basics of food fuel and water and have to pay for it like every one else.

It’s a great improvement, a steal at the price so go get it or stop complaining yeah?

if your not happy with it then just sell it off and go buy something different but, it’ll cost you a hell of a lot more tha 49 euro or whatever, then you can start new lerning course and be complaing about all the things that DAW software can’t do either…

The way to please your clients (in a studio or live situation) is to actually GET TO KNOW your gear as well as the short falls and deliver the goods, even if you have to find a few work arounds to do it.

Oh, just like to end by saying a big thankyou to the steinberg team fr the help and support in transition to Win 7 64 bit - cheers guys, you got me sorted :smiley:

Great.! As long as all this complaining isn’t getting in the way of that… :wink:

Oh, and the lanes thing - like everyone else is saying, it wasn’t a bug; it was designed and built EXACTLY according to the new(!) specification. Now, lots of folk didn’t agree/like the new spec and preferred the v5 spec - and that has been the request answered in C6.5 :wink: A change in the design (spec) back to include v5 behaviour.

Not a bug. A bug, just to be (finally) clear, is when something is not performing/behaving as per the design specification.

C6.0.6 bugfixes being released as free update next week; lanes behaviour (change) is a design specification re-write and means a paid update (C6.5).

I’ve got a stable functional version and I worked demn hard to get it that way. By not just opening the boxes at Christmas and expecting a build-your-own bicycle kit which was already built.
Computers are hard work. So do some and get over blaming your DAW for every little wrinkle in your sad lives.
I do research weeks or months ahead for pretty much all of my components and put it all together fairly slowly.
I do not open the DAW box and bung the CD in the hole and ring all my pals to inform them of my “cool” purchase and then burst into company-bashing tears when the first tiny thing goes wrong because I haven’t a clue.
When somethng goes wrong at my end I’m pretty sure that 90% of the time it’s me or the machine.
I don’t use the DAW for anything it’s not designed to do. I also don’t overload the system with far too many tracks and comps to ever remember where they are to edit them. To read some claims here they’d have us believe that they have more tracks, instruments and FX in one Project than Mozart ever did in his lifetime.

As I’ve said before, Steinberg know more about us (that means YOU) than we know about them or their product.

There are people with genuine problems come here for help. They are hindered and dismayed by the sheer volume of self-gratifying moaning as shown here.
Just another boring WTF post about having to spend the pocket money.

Not a bug. A bug, just to be (finally) clear, is when something is not performing/behaving as per the design specification.

That goes right over the heads. The concept is wrong:
A bug is anything that annoys the clueless. :mrgreen:

Conman has nothing to say once again.

“BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH…”

Oh … we’re going personal insult route here. OK. How about IF I said:

CinStduios has nothing to say again, except “WHINE, WHINE, WHINE, WHINE”.
</imaginary quote>

Considering that a few posts on here have been borderling personal, and conman basically likes to cross that line I think it’s pretty reserved. Reducing it to personal insults is typical of any forum, and it throws the thread off topic and it ends up locked. The aim of the initial flamers imo.

Anyway, the lane behaviour may not be a bug in terms of coding, ie not doing what it was programmed to do, but considering it was altered to behave in a way that hindered so many people i’d call it an error, therefore a bug. But the terminology aside , as it’s really not relavent, the lane behaviour should be put back (fixed) in the 6.0.6 update, not just the 6.5, the rest of it is fine. Why should people pay for fix for something that was a bad decision by the dev, that’s unethical.

Steinberg explained that:

Going from C5 to C6 was 149€
Going from 6.0 to 6.5 is 49€

So what about going from:

6.0 to C7 = 199€ ???
6.5 to C7 = 149€ ???

If this is the case (they have stated that 6.5 owners will have price advantage updating to C7 than 6.0 owners), it´s total BS! Because if I don´t update now to 6.5 and pay that 49€, I still would have to pay that same 49€ (for nothing!) going from 6.0.6 to C7 without ever owning 6.5. :open_mouth:

So Steinberg is really FORCING everybody to update to 6.5 and pay up for those soft synths, amp racks and chinese language that I have absolutely zero use for!

Does anybody get this? It´s really nasty business tactics from Steinberg. :imp:

Sorry. I don’t do personal. If you, or anyone cares to look the insults all seem to be aimed at anyone disagreeing with the anti big business “villain” rants. I do not name anyone personally as you have, I do not tell anyone what to do and nowhere has anyone GOT to agree with me or alter their point of view. The only thing I do have is a healthy scepticism of pretty much anything pretentious or arrogant.
And if you are really tossed off by Steinberg and if you think that they’re ever so crooked then complain where it matters. There’s plenty of consumer protection organisations out there that will look into it.
Anything else is just ranturbating really.

“Why should people pay?” They don’t have to. They can use the version with the old lane behaviour if they’ve got that many comps that need doing that way. Mind you, if I had as many comps as some say they have then it’d probably be simpler to learn the new way.
And as the trial has been out for a while now why did no-one apparently use that and so spot any possible issues before they happily scrambled for the wallet?
And if anyone thinks that’s personal their head must be in a sorry state.