Difference between Render and Convert To Real Copy?

Can anyone explain the difference between the Render and “Convert To Real Copy” Function? I use the render function all the time printing MIDI files into audio and printing effects to audio files. But when I saw the “Convert To Real Copy” option on the menu, I tried looking it up in the manual and 227 possible answers, none of which were actually “Convert To Real Copy” :confounded: Really not a fan of these manuals. So, can anyone here tell me when or why I would use one over the other. Are they even similar? Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I was looking for “Convert” not “Shared Copies,” so I blew right past this. Still not quite understanding how this is different from “Regular (I guess) Copies.” I make copies of clips all the time and when I make any changes, I get the prompt asking if it should effect the original as well or make a new version. So, I’m not sure how this is different.

This is clearly very different from Rendering. So at least that part of the question is cleared up. Thanks.

When you make a shared copy of an event, whatever you do to the first one, those exact changes will apply to the shared copy event. If you end up wanting one of those events to NOT be effected by changing the other event, you can convert it to a real copy, meaning it is back to normal and will not be effected when you make changes to the other event.

Also, I believe Shared Copies are just for MIDI events, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.