Different ASIO Overload Problem

Ive been using Cubase 5 for a long tme, since first buying it when it came out and has worked flawlessly with lots of effects and using NI Vir2 Virtual Instruments. But recently I got wanting to try more plug ins and instruments. I got some bluecat stuff among others but I think the problem started with Addictive Drums. Without Cubase even playing whatever tracks are recording, I get the ASIO overload problem when just playing beats in Addictive Drums. I’m using Windows 7, 8 GB ram and using a MOTU 828 MKII. I’ve played around with the buffer but no matter what it is set at. I thought maybe it could be that my projects tend to save to the C drive (when I was first trying to record using Addictive Drums) but then that doesn’t seem like it should matter when I’m simply just playing drum loops on it within Cubase. Plus my old projects still play completely fine without any ASIO overload issues. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can run Addictive Drums on a Win XP system with a quad-core CPU and only 4 GB, using the old Cubase VST 5/32 just fine. Projects saved onto a separate Projects/Audio hard drive, as well as installing AD’s samples onto a 3rd hard drive. I could also run AD on my even much older single-core DAW with same OS & software!

I have always used a 3 hard drive set-up in all my DAW’s - aside from my dedicated VSTi machine which only has 2 HDD’s being I don’t need a 3rd HDD for audio.

HDD#1 - OS/Programs
HDD#2 - Projects/Recorded Audio
HDD#3 - Sample content (for all my VSTi’s samples)

If you’re using one HDD in your system, I’d suggest you’d be much better off by adding at least a 2nd HDD.

Though the above is ‘better’ by not bottle necking everything, I’m wondering if your particular issue is not related to being a 64 bit system with 32 bit software? I’m guessing that on your old projects, you were not using Addictive Drums?

Yeah, the Addictive Drums was only added a week ago and everything before then was either audio or midi sent to Groove agent. I’m going to try your advice of using at least a 2nd hard drive. I’ve got a couple of big external hard drives kicking around and I’ll probably just take them out of the case so I don’t have to resort to using the slower USB connection. Thanks for the advice.

Unless XLN Audio has changed this, you can’t move it’s content (sounds) after the install :exclamation: …you’re going to want to uninstall AD, making sure there’s no traces of it left-over, then when reinstalling, put the program itself onto your OS HDD in the proper VST folder, and put it’s sampled sounds onto your 2nd HDD. Be sure to pay attention when installing that you do this correctly.

I couldn’t know what else may be wrong on your system, but using a multi-hard drive set-up is a must-have imo. You do not want a single HDD trying to keep up with such demands. This is a proper start at least out the gate.