Different bar numbers in score and parts

Hello everybody.

As I found out in rehearsal, the bar numbers are different in (some of) the parts and the score. It seems that the pick-up bar is counted in the cello part, but not in the score. Also - the system track in the part doesn’t show the bar numbers. Before I try to make a cut-down version, I’ll like to ask: Am I missing something obvious here?

One possibility is that you have one or more local (staff-specific) time signatures in your project. You could try deleting and re-entering the time signatures, or you could try changing the option on the Bar Numbers page of Notation Options which might confirm whether that was indeed the issue.

I do in fact have local time signatures in the project - but not until later on, so why would that matter at this stage? Also, the local time signatures are polyrhythmic (with pickups to match the main time signature, hidden tuplets and a restorative hidden time signature in the next bar), so bar lines always match up.
Anyway, thanks for the tip on Notating Options - I’ll try it when I get home. Not all layouts are “affected” though, so I’d be surprised. I can’t find anything useful in Layout Option

The Bar Number Count in Notation Options is already set to Global Count, and all barlines align. Also, why are there no bar numbers on the System Track? Whatever the count be, it should display SOMETHING, right?

Can you upload the project?

Thank you for the interest!
Here is a cut down version, that shows the problem. System Track shows (correct) bar numbers only for full score and clarinet layout, and the bar is one off for other layouts. Flute layout has a Bar Number Change at the beginning, which cannot be deleted (I put it there as an experiment). Bar Number Changes in the full score doesn’t seem to have effect

Test.dorico (865.9 KB)

To change the bar number, select the bar number then right-click and choose Bar Numbers > Add Bar Number Change… as in the attached image. Enter the value of 1 (if that is what you want) and press Enter.

If there is no bar number showing, select the barline and then right-click.

Thanks. I know that, but it doesn’t DELETE the change. Normally, you can select the number and press backspace, but it doesn’t work in this project for some reason

This is the result I got when I applied what I described to the Flute layout.

You might have to do it individually for each layout.

If you want to hide the bar number, then open Properties and click on Hide Bar Number.

As I suspected, you have some local time signatures in play right from the start - or, rather, you have some local barlines and bar numbers, and the three things (time signatures, barlines, and bar numbers) are all internally the same thing for Dorico.

The easiest way to fix this is:

  1. open the project
  2. turn on Signposts
  3. select the initial 3/4 time signature, and delete it - this will reveal some barlines on the Flute and Piano RH staves
  4. select the first barline on the Flute staff and delete it - this will reveal a red “X” signpost
  5. select the red “X” signpost and delete that
  6. repeat steps 4-5, but on the Piano RH staff
  7. reinstate the 3/4 time signature by selecting something at the start of the score, typing shift-M and then entering “3/4, 1” into the popover

In case Richard’s solution does not fix the bar number problem, try the following.

It will take a few minutes and will probably need adjustments to staff size, clefs, and possibly other changes you have made.

In Setup mode, I selected the Fløjte player and duplicated it (shift-alt-D). This created a layout which contained all time signatures, key signatures and tempo text, but did not contain any of the notes or dynamics. In this new Fløjte layout, the bar numbers started at 1 for the first complete bar, with the pickup 1-beat bar being numbered 0. Also, bar numbers appeared in the System Track.

Then I selected the first note in the score for the original Fløjte player and used Edit > Select To End Of Flow.

Next, I copied the selection and pasted it into the new Fløjte part.

If you decide to try this, first check that you are satisfied with the new Fløjte part and then do the above procedure for all the other players. As I said, it will take some time, but duplicating an existing Player seems to create a “clean” layout.

When you are satisfied that all the new Players are how you want them, delete the original Players.

Thank you. This gets rid of the Bar Number Change. Unfortunately it doesn’t solve the original problem.

Sorry - this was a response to Richard. Steven’s suggestion worked at first - I copied all the content into a duplicate player and everything was fine, BUT when I changed view to another layout and back, the problem (System Track not showing bar numbers and bar numbers being one off the (correct) Full Score-count) reoccurred!
This must be a bug. Consider it reported.

I have done what I described to all the Players, including the six singers, and those problems do not reoccur for me. Even after deleting the six singers from the layout list (on the right in Setup mode) to match what you had in the original project, and after saving the project, quitting Dorico and re-opening the project.
I have attached the edited version here in case it helps in diagnosing the issue.

Test v2.dorico (850.0 KB)

Ok - your file works as intended, and I can do the same. However, with the original, much larger project, it works as described above. There must be further problem down the line. The project is too big to upload here, and also copyrighted, but I think it it established that it’s a bug.
I’ll live with it for now, but I hope it will get fixed soon.
Thanks again for your help.

OK, it looks like the problem with bar numbering in parts that use local time signatures occurs because the initial (global) time signature is associated with an upbeat bar. We’ll take a look.