Different distances above staves for different types of text?

Hello!
I wonder what I am doing wrong or if I am making a mistake in thinking.

Look here: »1.« is an automatically written player’s number in a condensed score, »con sord« is a playing technique.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-11 um 18.53.37
Both sorts of text are on the same height. But if you look at the settings in engraving options, you can see that I had to type in totally different distances in order to get the same distance for these two types of text:

Ok, the first one is a default distance, the second a minimum distance. But in my example there is nothing than a simple staff line. No other text, object, nothing …

So is there any possibility to get different sorts of text on the same height automatically (if there are no obstacles like notes, slurs, whatever, … around)?

I’m sure there are some inconsistencies in the way some of these Engraving Options are applied depending on the item type on which they operate. However, on the face of it, I would think that the player label is a lot further away than the Engraving Option would suggest, so it would be helpful if you could attach a minimal project example with these settings so I can take a closer look.

@Daniel:
Example for Daniel.dorico.zip (875.9 KB)
Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Sorry for the long delay in looking at this. The reason for the difference is that player labels are drawn using paragraph styles, while playing techniques are drawn using font styles. This has a significant impact on the measurement of the text, as this picture showing some diagnostic drawing illustrates:

CleanShot 2022-06-07 at 22.24.25@2x

Text drawn with font styles uses the tight rectangle around the actual characters, while text drawn with paragraph styles uses a more sophisticated means of measuring the text that includes the font’s proper metrics.

So for the time being there’s nothing you can do about this. In due course we anticipate using paragraph styles to draw many of the items that are currently drawn using font styles, but it’s a reasonably big job (one we have just completed for lyrics in Dorico 4.1, for example).

Thank you, Daniel!
​Its not a problem to solve the problem manually. But its relaxing to know that I am doing nothing wrong. :wink:
​All the best
​HP