different margins on a title page?

Lately I was creating a title page for the parts in an arrangement in Dorico. The margins for the parts layout are set to show the music properly (so with enough whitespace on the sides). However, on the title page I need a graphic to fill the full with of the page (A4). I looked in this forum and into several options, but I couldn’t find a solution.

So, is it possible to adjust the margins for the title page (first page) independently from the other pages or is there a possibility that a graphic frame can extend beyond the margins?

No, you can’t do that, I’m afraid. What you’ll need to do is set the page margins in the page Setup page of Layout Options to zero on all sides, then edit your ‘First’ and ‘Default’ master pages so that all of the frames are inset by the old margin values.

Ah, I already was afraid that it isn’t possible (yet?). Maybe something to implement in a future version?
I also already thought of the solution proposed, so I will use this option (although I have more than the two standard master pages in my file).
Thx Daniel for the quick response and keep up the good work!

In general I don’t think there’s much call for margin changes within the same layout, so it’s certainly not a high priority, but I would never say never, as it were!

Perhaps it would be enough, to allow graphic (and text?) frames to go outside the page margins.

That’s not something we intend to do either.

I suppose this could be done by combining a PDF from another program with Dorico PDF. Then use a merge PDF program to put them together into one file. Might have to adjust the page number in Dorico if you want it to start on page 2 instead of 1. But this allows incredible flexibility.

Just come across this problem with a title page. I was rather fearing I might have to edit all the master pages and Flow headers I’ve set up in order to make things fit. Ah well, ca va.

ETA: Not as bad as I thought - No need to edit the flow headers.

I was searching for exactly the same thing, so I drop my wish here… :wink:

David, did you mean “ça va” ?

:smiley:

I did. And sixty years ago would probably have remembered it had a cedilla.

Same problem here. I’d love to have different page margins for the title page.
Especially when you have more than a title page: a page for scoring, for general information, playing instructions and and and…you don’t only have to reset 2 or 3 pages. You have to reset 5 or 6 pages if you set the margins to 0.
And that takes quite some time. I loose round about 1 hour.
Again the problem: ‘workflow’ !

1 Like

Are you using your toes to type?? It should take, what, 90 seconds? Yes, it does seem like workflow is the problem.

How exactly are you editing the frame dimensions?

i set the margins on 0 then I have to adjust all the other master pages to e.x. 14,82mm again even if I locked them - or did I do sth wrong?

That’s correct, and sorry if I came off as rude. It shouldn’t take that long to edit those frames. Use arrows and the numerical values underneath. Or perhaps you have too many frames? Can you post a screenshot?

No problem Dan.
Here is the screenshot…I have like 7 master pages and I have to change the numbers of every text and music frame back to 14,82mm, if I put my margins on 0 to get my Graphics on the very first page without margins. So I absolutely have to put my margins on 0 !
How can I prevent Dorico from doing this:

Do the title page elsewhere, then combine PDFs in your PDF editor of choice. The chances are the printer (if you’re having it professionally printed) will want the title page as a separate file, anyway, given that borderless images will need different media and ink to the content of the score.

That’s what I’m doing at the moment. But it would be nice, if you could do everything in 1 programme, no?
Daniel: ‘I don’t think there’s much call for margin changes within the same layout, so it’s certainly not a high priority’ - that’s a pity…

2 Likes

I tried setting the margins at zero, but even so, I got a tiny margin of white around the page, which I was trying to avoid. In the end, I added my pages after printing in Dorico, replacing two black pages at the beginning (to keep my page numbering as I wanted it) and replaced these in my pdf program Developers of Dorico…there does seem to be a desire on the part of composers who self-publish to have this feature:)

1 Like

NB - not black pages- blank! -Ros