Different meters in different staves at different measures

Is there a way to create measures in a single (or multiple) staff with a different meter, but still aligns with the measures in other staves? I can create a new time signature on selected staves, but I’m not sure how to ‘make it fit’ with the prevailing meter in the other staves. I’m trying to do something like the picture where the changes do not occur at the beginning of the example. Also, eventually the parts which are in 2/4 will go back to 6/8 so i need more time signatures in those locations.

earlier discussions in the forum about this don’t quite make it clear how i can achieve this.
thanks!

The process is:

1. Input a local time signature with a pickup bar whose length matches the surrounding bars.
  2. Input and hide a local time signature at the next barline that matches the surrounding bars.
  3. Use hidden tuplets to make the contents of a 2/4 bar look like a 6/8 bar (or vice-versa).

In order to put one staff in 2/4 while everyone else is in 6/8, place the caret on the relevant staff and type Shift-M 2/4,3 Alt-Enter. This will give you a pickup bar of three crotchet-quarter beats. Then move the caret to the next barline, input a local 6/8 meter and hide from the properties panel.

In order to put one staff in 6/8 while everyone else is in 2/4, place the caret on the relevant staff and type Shift-M 6/8,4 Alt-Enter. This will give you a pickup bar of four quavers/eighths. Then move the caret to the next barline, input a local 2/4 meter and hide from the properties panel.

1 Like

To follow up on what @pianoleo said, here is an example file with the tuplets and time sigs unhidden.

Polymeter.dorico (522.4 KB)

An oldie but a goldie

3 Likes