Different PDF from Graphics and Printer

Hi,
I edited the master page and added a subtitle and put it in italics.
If I print to PDF using the option “Printer”, the italics subtitle appears in italics at it should be.
However, if export to PDF using the option “Graphics”, the subtitle doesn’t appear in italics.
Anyone knows why?
Thanks.

Do you actually have the Italic style of that font? Because the ‘oblique’ text doesn’t actually look like a real Italic, but just an OS slanting the text to fake it.

1 Like

It’s Goudy Old Style, I think it’s a pretty common font. And it gives me the options: “Regular”, “Italic”, “Bold” and “Bold Italic”. I am using the bold italic one.

Apparently, the font family of your Goudy doesn’t provide the correct connections between the different styles. The font doesn’t ‘know’ that when you apply the bold italic style, it should refer to the actual bold italic font, instead of clumsily emboldening (is that the word here?) and slanting the Regular, which, from a typographical viewpoint, is to be avoided (it’s ugly).
One solution could be to find a better Goudy Old Style font family, where the fonts are typographically connected, or maybe simply remove the fonts and re-install them together, hoping that will re-establish the family ties.
The quick and dirty solution is to assign the Goudy Old Style Bold Italic font directly instead of the style, and to not rely on the font [family] to intelligently handle the substitution on its own.

But why does it work (gets in italics) when I choose “printer” but not when I choose “graphics”?

I don’t know for sure, but I think it’s because when you view the PDF, the computer is searching for the fonts to be correctly displayed.

The Italic looks like this, which is not what you have:

Screenshot

The problem is that Windows gives you “Bold”, “Italic”, and “Bold Italic” options for any font, even if they don’t exist, and it ‘fakes’ the style by thickening or slanting the line strokes.

I have one Goudy Old Style that doesn’t come with a Bold Italic. So check whether you actually have the font FILE – don’t rely on the menu.

The difference in output will relate to how the font is defined in the PDF; but the ‘faked’ style is not reliable, and may be interpreted ‘straight’ by some PDF readers or printers.

I do wonder if there are underlying issues with QT though… because occasionally I will export things on mac and open them in affinity publisher and certain font weights won’t be respected when the text is boxed. I use Iowan Old Style “black” (ie- extra bold) and often wherever I put that I get “roman” in AP. Then again, AP gets really weird about stuff… so who knows. I just can’t force myself to subscribe for adobe at the moment.

So, after all the “solution” was to change the font to Palatino Linotype. Yet I think if Dorico offers me the option bold and italic for Goudy Old Style, its graphics should export it to PDF. Anyhow, thanks for the help.

What @benwiggy was saying though is that the font offerings are at a system-level, not Dorico. Dorico is just drawing on the available system fonts, so if it’s fed bogus information from windows (ie- a windows-synthesized fake font), you can’t really fault Dorico.

2 Likes