Different piano 4-hands layouts in one file

Not a silly question, at all. I wanted to create a template with which I could switch between the two possible layouts. As I wrote in my first post, some music benefits from a standard score layout and some from a facing page layout, and I wanted to be able to switch back and forth at will. It’s not a big deal that it isn’t necessary; it just means that I have to decide first which layout I want and choose the appropriate file. I suppose I could have one file with extra MP sets and, after switching layouts, perform the necessary page overrides manually.

Maybe a good option would be to have two layouts in Dorico for the two formats, and assign the relevant flows to each one.

If you want to produce one final document, you could interleave the PDF pages outside of Dorico.

Mr. Tuley has already written what I also wanted to suggest.

You mean, have two flows with the two different layouts? That would mean duplicating the musical material in two flows.

I was assuming you already have one flow for each piece in the collection.

Then create two layouts for the two formats, and include each flow in the appropriate one.

So your project would look something like this in setup mode, if you have 6 pieces. Note, I didn’t actually set up the primo-secondo format, so ignore what the main window looks like, just look at the side and bottom panels.

You can have the same flow(s) displayed in as many layouts as you like, Vaughan.

You almost always have the same flows displayed in many layouts - i.e. the full score and all the parts.

(Actually, that is an example of one of the “unsolvable problems” of how people learn to use something new - if you give them a fully predefined set up like a score and all the parts in Dorico, they tend to assume there is something special or unique about it and they can’t create it for themselves from scratch if they wanted to…)

Vaughan,

Did you even try extracting ReRei’s template from earlier in this thread and comparing the format of the Full Score Layout and the second layout provided? It does not require separate files or flows and seems to do exactly what you are asking for.

Thanks for this, Rob. I need to keep experimenting…