Differing Levels When Punching In at Home

I recorded some bass parts, as a performer over VST Performer/Connect, and am now working directly on the session to do some comping, editing, etc.

There are a couple of parts that I want to punch in myself, but despite the fact that I am using the exact same settings that I used on the remote session, the levels I’m getting to disk now are much lower than what was recorded originally (~10 dB). The engineer who recorded me said he did not add any gain, and in fact there is no way for him to do so. So why would the levels be different?

How did you configure your setup ? I’m assuming all the hardware/levels are the same on your end.
Was it VST connect PRO or SE ?
IF pro did you transfer the HD files at the end ?
Did you record mono/stereo ?
Was it the stereo feed you’re comparing too or was it the HD mono channel ?
Did you use any local (performer) plugins in the original session ?
Exactly what did the original engineer have setup on the VST connect input channel ?
etc

Basically what I’m saying it’s impossible to know what has happened without much more information - and even then it might be that the original engineer did something odd or something he forgot ? Probably best to put it down to ‘one of those things’ :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your questions:

How did you configure your setup ? I’m assuming all the hardware/levels are the same on your end.

• Yes, I haven’t touched the hardware since the session.

Was it VST connect PRO or SE ?

• Pro

IF pro did you transfer the HD files at the end ?

• Yes

Did you record mono/stereo ?

• Mono

Was it the stereo feed you’re comparing too or was it the HD mono channel ?

• I’m punching in on the HD mono channels (i.e. apples to apples)

Did you use any local (performer) plugins in the original session ?

• No

Exactly what did the original engineer have setup on the VST connect input channel ?

• Apparently nothing except a tuner, and that was only on one of the three channels

Thing is, this has happened to me in the past when I’ve tried to do the same. It seems to be a consistent issue… Have you had a different experience in a similar situation?

I haven’t had the issue - but to be fair I haven’t tried overdubbing ‘locally’ on what was originally a ‘remote’ session so I wouldn’t have expected to.

If you had 2 computers you could try testing this locally with a (new) simple project, therefore you’d be in full control. PRO works over a LAN (usually!) Go ‘old school’ and a record a 1khz analog line up tone. Might tell you more about what is going on. Would be interested to see.

The HD tracks are recorded locally so there shouldn’t be any difference…of course VST connect is a ‘work in progress’ so you might have found something odd.

This is the same problem I think as I wrote about in the “Recording volume problem” post.

I guess so too.