Difficulty using Cubase 12 on my system

I’m writing this after the third consecutive reboot of Windows. Every single morning I wake up praying that Cubase 12 doesn’t crash on startup, and it’s a daily routine of giving it a shot, Cubase 12 stops working on startup, I check the forums for any solutions, no solution, reboot, and pray that this time it works. And then once it finally works I cannot shut it down until late in the night because if I close it, it NEVER loads again and I gotta start the reboot dance once again.

Cubase 10.5 was flawless, I never had any problems with it. But in 2022 you have made my workflow stupidly slower. Many times I had to reboot my PC several times with clients present in the studio, because Cubase 12 didn’t want to start. You are making me look unprofessional and you are wasting my time. I regret upgrading, and I regret recommending your software to colleagues and students. And your silence in the forums and in customer support makes it even worse.

PLEASE FIX YOUR VST PLUGIN MANAGEMENT IN WINDOWS

1 Like

same here!

1 Like

You sound frustrated and angry. (And I can understand that).
But let’s try fixing things, as Cubase 12 is working fine on thousands of PC’s.
If you feel like, you may want to perform a clean install of Windows and ‘rebuild’ your PC with all clean installed programs.
Quite a few Cubase issues are actually attributed to USB devices (and USB Hubs), so you might try to launch your PC or Cubase leaving USB devices off, one at a time.
And of course: Contact support! (They helped me out just a few weeks ago, They advised to perform a clean install of the NVIDIA graphics driver, install without all the optional stuff, and this solved my issues)
Cheers, and Merry X-mas.

1 Like

You are making yourself look unprofessional by continuing to use software that you have already established is not working for you when you have clients present. Surely you should just use 10.5 if it works flawlessly for you when working with clients, and troubleshoot version 12 in downtime?

7 Likes

99% of the time, issues with media applications come from issues with the OS or device drivers, namely audio drivers.

FWIW, I could not get my system to use my MOTU audio interface except in ASIO mode. Fine for Cubase, but I like to sometimes run non ASIO capable applications out to my studio monitors. I simply deleted the drivers complete from the system via control panel, reinstalled the drivers and rebooted. This is the typical solution.

Not to say MOTU is your problem, but FWIW all my Windows and Cubase problems went away when I got rid of my MOTU drivers. Took ages to find the cause of my problems. No MOTU drivers and all is good now.

I’ve get to a point where Cubase 12 was so unstable that I reached out every company of my pluggins. Everyone point to windows. Then I have make a new Windows 10 installation and almost every problem faded away. Still some issues … but, at least I can work on C12. I was back on C11 cause of the issues. Now C12,0, 52 work acceptable. I know it is a very radical solution but works for me. Good luck buddies.

C12 pretty stable over here.

I’d start by moving all your plugins (VST2 & 3) to another folder and see what happens.

If it runs smooth, start putting them back, one by one.

Also, if you’re using the dongle, invest in a good quality USB hub that has a USB 3 type B connector and a good power supply, for example:

If you’re not using a dongle, perhaps buy one and see if running your license from there fixes the problem.

Apart from all that, obviously having a healthy (hardware & software) PC doesn’t hurt.

1 Like

Have you tried looking for Error Reports in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue

If Cubase 12 is crashing, there should be an error report in this folder, which may point to the problem you’re experiencing.

I agree that @eboats’ post was trollish, and have removed that post and its replies.

This is not correct. Cubase crash logs on Windows are in the so-called “Personal Folder” in your Windows user account folder at %userprofile%/Documents/Steinberg/

In Windows 10, the default location for application error reports is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER

WER = Windows Error Reports

Steinberg should not be overriding that. It makes more sense to look in one location for ALL error reports, than to search different folders, depending on the application.

People should also look in the Application Event Log whenever an application crashes. If there is a log created for the crash, the location should be provided in the Event Log entry.

Sorry, no.

This is not mandatory and there are lots of applications that do not write to that directory. This not just Steinberg.

Same as above, this is not mandatory and not followed by many software vendors. Especially the event log is often not possible to create entries anymore, in case of a hard crash.

Steinberg is creating cross Plattform applications and different platforms have different locations.

1 Like

Deleted wrong topic

deleted wrong topic

The windows event log probably has no information, so you can have a look in the windows event log system area and search for error entries. They should appear around the time of your crash.

You can also upload your dump files here, so we can have a look into it. In many cases they show some obvious reasons for the crash.

However there are also cases where the real cause requires access to the source code and therefore these files need to go to Steinberg support.

I use a number of freeware programs, that run on Windows, Mac & Linux, and all of them “write” to the Application Event Log and the WER folder when they crash. Error reporting is generally handled by the OS, since the crashing application is often unable to do anything but close.

With all due respect, this is not an accurate reading of the function, method and purpose of crash logs,

No, it is not. Applications can register a handler for so called signals, like null pointer. In case of an exception in the code the crash handler takes over and can write the dump. This is standard coding practice.

1 Like