Difficulty with a piano cue

Hello, I try to replicate a piano cue:
Vierne original
I put all music into the left hand of the piano.
Because of the clef changes in the cue I actually inserted three cues in a row, see my example:
Dorico - try
Now I can’t get rid of the rests.
I am sure, I am doing something wrong here - any help welcome.
By the way, in the above example I [in Notation Options] have set “Bar rests in cues” to “Omit bar rests”

Please turn on View > Note and rest colors > Voice Colors. Then upload a screenshot of the source (piano) staves from the score or piano layout.

Dear pianoleo,
here are the screenshots - are they helpful?.

screenshot violin part

screenshot score with flags

Ah! So it’s three separate cues. Ok. On each cue there should be a property to Hide Rests Around Cue - I think that’s what it’s called. Turn it on for all three cues.

Here you go :slight_smile: (perfect memory as per, Leo)

1 Like

ah, you mean like this?:
screenshot score with flags - fixed

perfect, thank you, thank you!
I also started the voice of the violin on the first rest in bar two, so the main rests are also not shown.
That way one does not need the setting in the Notation options ( as they are only valid for whole bar rests).
Thank you again, leo.

1 Like

Are you perhaps missing a rest in the second full bar? I think you might need to start that violin voice one quaver/eighth earlier.

1 Like

Thank you Lillie, of course there is something in the manual, too. I sometimes feel blind… sorry

No apologies necessary! It’s easy for me because I write it, so I know exactly what’s in there and where everything is :wink:

You are right and must have eagle eyes. Once I forced the first Crotched rest into two quavers, I could set the “start voice” property to the right place.

I wish I was that organised :wink:

1 Like

Once a proofreader, alawys a proofreader :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:


Even if I thoroughly proofread my own note settings, it still seems to leave an average of one error per page remaining…
So I was interested to hear that publishing houses (like Henle) use at least 4 different people to proofread their engravings under specific aspects.

Anyway, here is now the final result of the beginning:
final result

It was a wish of the performers to adapt the tempo slightly. Louis Vierne seems to have been over exaggerating his tempos sometimes (like Beethoven - where it might just have been a metronome reading error).

I probably shouldn’t admit to this on a public forum, but I’ve just been recording for an exam board. While their work is excellent, I picked up a few details that turned out to be setting errors (and plenty more where the setting was faithful but the source was questionable). We all make mistakes.

… oh, it took me a while until I noticed your little hint:

Once a proofreader, alawys a proofreader :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like