Direct Monitoring

Is there an option to turn on and off direct Monitoring on the UR28M interface especially in CC mode

Hi Dj

Not sure what software you are using but if it’s Cubase then go into the Device Setup Dialog and the Direct Monitoring is controlled from there, I found this out when trying to use a vocoder which won’t work(at least you can’t hear it working)when direct monitoring is on.

Best Regards

Dave

I am aware it could be done from in Cubase, I am asking if there is a function on the interface itself to do this. If not that is something that they could look into

Hi Dj

No, definitely no way to control it from the unit itself, I doubt they’d even think about what you’re after as then it’s just a very expensive mixer with only 8 channels, and the programming required to do it would require a lot of “physical” buttons which it doesn’t have:-)

Best Regards

Dave

You have the Effect Insert Location (Mon.FX/Ins.FX) selector. No idea however how this can be controlled via Midi, you’d have to monitor the data flow to the UR from e.g. Cubase when switching - either that or ask Steinberg support for the command instruction.

Yo Brihar

I don’t have that switch ie Effect Insert Location (Mon.FX/Ins.FX) on my UR824, have I been deprived???:-)Only on the 28M perhaps? Not that I need it!!!

Best Regards

Dave

Yes you do (or should), see page 11 of the UR824 User Manual control number 5.

That’s a feature they should think about when making these interfaces, even the cheap Focusrite Scarlet 212 has a switch on the front for direct monitoring.
Remember users buy these interfaces and use with different DAW.

Hi Brihar

I definitely can’t find the switch you’re on about, certainly not on the front panel, mines plumbed in so I can’t look on the back without crawling around and I’m too old for that:-). I was talking about hardware switches specifically btw.
In reply to DjJunior, I also have a Steinberg C1 which DOES have the feature you describe but on the UR with 8 inputs and 4 outs it becomes a bit impractical, and expensive I would think, and it HAS to be plugged into computer to be of any real use anyway.

Best Regards

Dave

My reference was to a control in the mixer software (DSPMIXFX) - indeed there is no HW button on any of the UR units.
As this is a per channel function, it would require a button for each channel - rather expensive proposition probably to realize in HW.

Why is this function necessary for you if I might inquire?

If you setup the UR in DSPMixFX the way you want it, on the next boot it should retain those settings - i.e. if certain channels have been configured for direct mon, they should remain this way until changed again. I use this so in Protools on mac which runs parallel (albeit not simultaneously) to Cubase on PC - i.e. both use the same UR interface. I set up the channels DM for use with PT on mac, and they are then also DM on PC - ergo, this configuration must be stored in the interface itself. Cubase can override this configuration with settings stored in each project (i.e. configuration stored in Cubase project) without altering the base configuration as programmed in DSPMixFX.

Perhaps this info helps. As the DM on off is configured per channel, I doubt a HW solution will ever be realized.

Hi Brihar

I was only answering DjJunior who wanted to know about turning on and off hardware monitoring via a hardware switch which I said was not available and probably not practical, (which is what you said) and then you mentioned what I “thought” was a hardware switch that did something, which I don’t have (or need). But it’s just part of “dspmix” which I don’t use anyway as I’m on C7.5 and do everything in there, so…we’re ALL right!!!Except DJ who hasn’t got his hardware switch:-)As Brihar says DJ, you would have to have a switch for each input.

Best Regards

Dave