Direct off-line processing doesn’t stick?

After applying normalized to a bunch of audio events, I go to replay the track and all the changes I made are gone.
Is it because I didn’t press “audition“ to enact the process?
Or am I missing something else?

Hi,

No, you don’t have to click Audition. But if you have no Auto Apply enable, you have to click Apply.

Thanks. And How do I “ apply? “
I don’t see an icon for it in the DOF window, nor anything about it in the manual.
Same goes for “auto apply.”

Hi,

What Cubase edition exactly do you use? Are you on Pro?

Artist 10.5

Just looked at the Cubase 12 Artist Operation manual and, indeed it seems that there is neither an Apply button, nor an Auto Apply option, though the latter seems to be available via a key command (Direct Offline processing > Toggle Auto Apply) : a rather strange implementation…

Could you make a screenshot of your DOP window, though, just to confirm this ? In the Pro version, both are available.

Beside this, here, each time I select a process, I need to use the Apply button to make the process actual on the audio event selected. OTOH, there is a Favorite section in the Pro version of this window and if I select a process in it, it is immediatly applied. So, I guess that the Artist version of the DOP window doesn’t work the same way as the Pro one.

This said, can you see a change in the waveform display of a selected event when applying a process in the DOP window ? I can, here, each time I apply a process in the DOP window…

I don’t see an "auto apply” key command, but there is “Apply” as you can see from the screenshot. Just tried it.
It doesn’t work.

To answer your question, yes I can see a change in the waveform Display, and the audio is louder as desired. However, when I move on to another audio event, it pops back to its original level.

Hi,

The Auto Apply enable/disable option if available in Cubase Pro only. In all other editions it is always auto-applied.

Do you keep the Direct Offline Process window open?

1 Like

Should I?

No. It should work in both cases (you keep it open or you close it). I just want to understand your workflow.

This might be relevant:
The audio event that I’m trying to normalize are
Lanes. So I have a lane selected with the comp tool.
Then I switch to object selection, select the event, and normalize it. Then I moved to another section of the track, and do the same thing etc.

The lanes are audio tracks that I have cut up with the split tool, so maybe normalize is acting on the entire audio file, not just the cut out part that I think I’m applying it to?
Just conjecturing here. Hoping someone who knows more than I do can make heads or tails.

Martin, since you asked about workflow, let me explain better. I had a vocalist to do several takes of a song. Later I converted the takes into lanes. Then I split up the lanes according to the sections of the song so that I could select the best parts. I used the comp tool. Then I object selected those same parts and normalized them.

Can’t say anything about the DOP nit sticking as I don’t have artist 10, but might I suggest a different workflow that is possibly faster and better than normalizing with DOP (peak normalizing is imho rarely ever useful in music production anyway, especially on more dynamic material…)?
Use event volume. If you enable “ Use Mouse Wheel for Event Volume and Fades” in the preferences (“editing->audio”), then you can change the volume of the different audio events with the mouse wheel while hovering over them. This is my preferred way to bring different audio events to roughly the same level. I usually aim for a peak of max -10dBFs on the meter for the loudest parts, but a bit more or less doesn’t matter, more important is that the different events sound the same level. If an event has very quiet and very loud parts, I split it up into fitting parts.

Just an idea… DOP should generaly work, of course. Have you maybe tried recording one simple audio event in a otherwise blank project and then apply DOP to check whether it has to do with the project?

1 Like

Thanks for your perspective.

I don’t know. It would be working well for me… if it worked. Maybe the vocals were recorded a little low. But I liked the results I was getting. And it’s efficient and precise.

But I will consider your advice with respect to event volume. I may have no choice. And it’s some thing I should familiarize myself with anyway.

As for testing it out on a new project. Good idea. maybe tomorrow.

Maybe figured something out. I changed audio preference from “process existing clip“ to “create new version“.
Seems to be working, but I’m afraid to say it out loud just yet.

Hi,

This means, it always re-processes the Audio Event, if you share the same Audio Clip and it turns it to the original once you select it. With the preferences you had. I will try to reproduce this.

Now you always create a new file once you process it.