Direct Offline Processing being applied to unselected audio stems

Hi, I’m having trouble getting the Direct Offline Processing feature to work as expected. I’m seeing that - seemingly randomly - a process applied via DOP to a single audio event will also apply to the audio tracks around it. Also, I’m seeing DOP processes get applied to events other than the one I’ve selected!

Here’s my audio track. I’ve applied a FabFilter plugin via direct offline processing to this stem:

I want to apply different offline processing to the second half of the stem, so I cut it with the cut tool, and apply the different fab filter settings to the second half, but the first half has had the same processing applied to it!

I have no idea why this is happening. I would have thought each audio stem is handled on its own in direct offline processing. Despite being cut, are these 2 audio portions still somehow linked?
What’s even more bizarre is that this doesn’t seem to always happen. Sometimes cubase treats different audio portions as different portions (with their own direct offline processing) and sometimes it doesn’t. A separate audio event on the same track doesn’t have any direct offline processing as expected.

Finally, while fiddling around with it, I once got into a scenario where it’s applying processes to the wrong portion of audio. I applied a process to the audio stem on the left, but it’s only being applied to the audio stem on the right.

I think it’s something to do with the file name associated with an audio event. The audio events post-split both seem to have the same filename regardless. But even then, the behaviour is inconsistent. I’ve gotten it to behave as expected - where a process will be applied to only the selected audio - but I can’t consistently recreate that behaviour, and most of the time, DOP processes are wrongly applied to unselected audio events.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

FIXED: Preferences > Editing > Audio > On Processing Shared Clips > Change from “Processing Existing Clip” to “Create New Version”

If you do this the first time, there pops up a dialog asking what to do…
and you can set the dialog to, not appear again.