Direct Routing Direct Monitoring

In a multi-MR816 installation, Can Direct Routing be used for routing inputs directly (sends) to other hardware outputs for Direct Hardware Monitoring aside from the 4 Cues in the Control Room?

Will be testing Cubase 9’s Direct Routing to MR816CSX Outs.

• Will create outputs and configure Cubase 9’s Direct Routing’s mapping to those outputs (Direct Monitoring - Activated) first, save, and exit.
  • Will then bring up MR Editor and activate those inputs-to-outputs mappings on the MR816CSX hardware and save as a scene, and exit.
  • Will then load Cubase 9 project previously saved with the Direct Routings/Direct Monitoring, and check and see if any signals are getting to those physical outputs on the MR816CSX.

Will report back on the findings.

TEST COMPLETE!

Hardware Monitoring with 3 cascaded MR816CSX works using Steinberg’s workaround utilizing the SPDIF IN/OUT(s). Using Steinberg’s workaround forces you to put the 3 MR816 units in a mode “ADAT + SPDIF”. This will give you 8 analog IN/OUT + Digital 2 channel SPDIF IN/OUT(s). With another unit attached via Lightpipe ADAT, you’ll end up with 14 analog IN/OUT ( 8 on main unit and 6 via ADAT ) + 2 Digial SPIDIF IN/OUT(s).

With that said, when using Steinberg’s workaround solution for doing hardware direct monitoring utilizing the STUDIO CONTROLROOM, you are forced to use 3 CUES with 1 left to spare to get audio across from the other 2 cascaded MR816 units.

WORKAROUND: To increase the amount of CUES with 3 cascaded MR816CSX units.
Additional Hardware: Behringer P16-I with X amount of P16-M
Features Gained: 16 additional CUES from the P16-I at artist’s fingertips via P16-M in Cubase Direct Hardware Monitoring Mode.
SOLUTION:
Utilize Cubase’s DIRECT ROUTING to map audio signals out and onto the P16-I’s 16 analog inputs.

• Will require an extra track with the same input source, but mapped to the hardware output of the MR816 for the P16-I
  • Will require mapping in Cubase (Software) as well as mapping in each hardware MR816 unit.

TESTED: FEBRUARY 14, 2017