Direct routing vs. Sends?

If I were to say that direct routings were functionally the equivalent of having eight more send slots and nothing else*, would somebody please let me know how that would be incorrect?

*Actually a little less functional than send slots - as I understand it, direct routing can only be post-fader (whereas inserts can be pre-fader), and they can only route at unity gain (whereas sends can route at gains less than and greater than unity).

I’ve re-read the old Cubase 8 thread on Direct routing and couldn’t really see what else direct routing brought to the table, hoping for some help if there is something I’m missing.

Thanks -

Hi,

The Direct Routing is useful for the user case when you need to send the same signal to different outputs at once. It comes from Nuendo, where the feature is available for some time already, and used pretty often in the sound post-production pretty often.

The fact, that a send signal can operate independent of the fader, which a direct routing signal can not, so a direct routing is functionally just as little the equivalent of a send as is the channel output routing or the send of an ISR.