DirectX full duplex driver missing

I’ve just bought and installed Cubase 7.5 on a new Windows 8.1 system, and the “DirectX full duplex driver” is missing from the VST Audio System menu. This did not happen on my previous installation of Cubase 7 on Windows 7.

I have an external sound card, for which I used the specific driver. However, I sometimes want to work while allowing sounds from other applications to work, for which I required the DirectX full duplex driver.

“Release driver when application is in background” is not a suitable option, since it doesn’t allow both applications to work in the same time.

Anyone knows?

The previously installed Cubase 7 on the same Windows 8.1 system also fails to find the DirectX full duplex driver.

For some reason there’s no asiodxfd.dll in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Asio, where the ASIO drivers sit.
In the old installation, it was there, aside with asioglld.dll.

Why is this happening?

However, I sometimes want to work while allowing sounds from other applications to work, for which I required the DirectX full duplex driver

You do not need dx driver for this, go to windows sound/your soundcard/properties/advanced tab and switch off “allow applications to take exclusive control of this device”

You should be able to use your interface ASIO driver in Cubase and still play audio from other applications.

Woah. Good to know.

This fixed the problem, thanks!

You do not need dx driver for this

In my case i needed DX-Drivers for this, as “allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” does not fix the issue for single-client-Asio4All, which was the only working Asio-Driver on my system.

Gladly i found a solution in

to get back my old-loved Multi-Client-DirectX-Full-Duplex Asio driver by reinstalling Cubase 6.

(To all those folks saying “DX-drivers are poopies, they have high latency, do not use them”: When i’m just mixing i don’t care about high latency, but i do care about multi-client-audio. And there are also reasons for not always having a separate interface with its own ASIOs plugged in.)