Disable audio feedback on button presses

A few weeks ago my cat jumped on my keyboard while I was working on a project. Since that time, at anytime I press any button, I get a note played. I also get this note played on selecting the transport buttons play, stop, record. I can’t find how to disable it. I’ve searched through the forums, Googled and even went menu by menu in Cubase to see what was activated and how to turn it off. Worse, the note is included on doing audio mix downs of midi files. It is also present in multiple projects. I really don’t want to have to do a clean install if I can help it. My system is Mac M1, Cubase 12 latest version, the files are all midi VSL Synchn-ized solo strings. Any help greatly appreciated.

What breed is your cat? we have found that tabbys prefer synth sounds, while calicos are adamant about using acoustic instruments. Siamese complain whiningly that microtonality is to high to reach, can you please buy more cat trees?

• Or, start Cubase in Safe Mode by holding cmd+opt+shift while Cubase launches.
  • It seems unlikely, but check if the Transport>On Screen keyboard is activated
  • Check the routing for all the Remote devices in Studio Setup

I figured you are talking about the alpha keyboard, yes?

1 Like

I’d try to reset the cat first.

Opened up a different project and didn’t get the feedback. Also reset all preference, audio and wherever else I could find a reset button. I think it is an issue with the set of projects I had. I try to start them over again. I just wish I knew what Maple (the cat had pushed).

Also tried to reset the cat and nothing happened.

Was the cat after the mouse?

1 Like

I think it is an issue with my custom made expression maps I made for the Solo Synchron-ized Strings. I’ll double check them or start from scratch. Thank you everyone for responding.

We use a hybrid console in the control-room at Deadly Mix Studios. Sometimes the same happens to me. It can be very annoying, but luckily, its very easy to fix.

At least one of your VSTi, MIDI, or sampler tracks has its MIDI input set to “All MIDI Inputs”.
If the keyboard in question is a typing keyboard, its configured to act as a MIDI controller. You can leave it setup as a MIDI keyboard, if you need it, and still solve the problem.
Here’s how…

□ Open the left panel in the “Window Layout” (which is most likely located at or near the top-right corner of your project/editor window ).
□ Click the first VSTi, Sampler, or MIDI track channel in the editor.
□ Locate the MIDI Input selector.
[In the left panel, near the upper-middle of the “Inspector” tab you’ll see an elaborate layout of all your controls for that track. In that inspector tab, below the Mute/Solo/Record-Enable buttons and the Volume/Panning/Track delay sliders, you’ll see the MIDI configuration. It’ll be a black text box, indicated by an arrow pointing into a square icon]
□ Click the MIDI Input box
□ Change it from “All MIDI Inputs” to whichever MIDI device you prefer to compose that instrument with.
□ Click each VSTi, Sampler, and MIDI channel in your project and select your preferred MIDI controller for each.

Now, the device is no longer setup to send MIDI data to any virtual instruments and you can carry on without hearing a musical note every time you tap a key.