Disable audio

Hi forum,

i am using Dorico 5 primarily as a score viewer. I don’t really need the audio engine, because i also have Cubase 12 Artist. Cubase’ audio engine is much more powerful and faster than Dorico’s audio engine, but Dorico’s score visuals and formatting capabilities are very nice. Also, Dorico’s audio engine is a pain and only randomly works with my ASIO driver.

I would like to disable Dorico’s audio engine , because Dorico locks my sound card and any other program like Cubase can’t access the sound card. How can i do that?

regards,
Bert

maybe you could change the default playback to “disabled”
in /Preferences / Play /project activation.
There’s no nedd to Route Dorico to your soundcard.

Or you can route Dorico to another audio Driver, like Flexasio (multi threading capable).
and you can still use Cubase.
On my Laptop it works.

Or you can route Dorico to another audio Driver, like Flexasio (multi threading capable).
and you can still use Cubase.
On my Laptop it works.

Hi,

thanks for your sugesstions. I’ve used the silence template in the preferences. Don’t know why, but it seems to work.

Another question: Is it also possible to route the midi from Dorico to another program like Cubase?

regards,
Bert

Not directly at this time, no. In the future perhaps.

Not directly, but it’s possible. On the Mac, this is done via Audio MIDI Setup. There I start a network session that provides virtual MIDI inputs and outputs, which I then select in Dorico and Cubase. Keep in mind, though, that for MIDI to work, the Audio Engine must be enabled. For Windows there is also the possibility to create virtual MIDI ports.

That’s not native to Windows. Do you recommend any particular software?

I use Windows only for testing purposes, not for working, on a Bootcamp partition on my MacBook Pro. There I have successfully tested this app for virtual MIDI ports:

2 Likes