Disable automatic grouping?

Searched around but couldn’t figure this out. Is there any way to disable automatic grouping specifically of dynamics? And yes, I do mean grouping and not linking, I am not confused about that (since I know this gets commonly mixed up). So the preference “link dynamics and slurs when pasting” is not what I’m looking for, and in addition the issue is that I wish to disable the automatic behavior at the point of initial creation (nothing to do with pasting).

So in other words: horizontally on one bar to the next, I would like to disable the way a hairpin will automatically group to the nearest immediate dynamic on the same staff.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is an option for that. You mean you never want this to happen? It is helpful most of the time. I have a Jump Bar alias for ungrouping.

Since dynamics group when they abut rhythmically, I suppose you could create a hairpin too short, and then fix the length. But that would be more bother than ungrouping.

1 Like

Yes I have a keyboard shortcut assigned to ungroup actually. I was looking for something project-specific in fact, it’s because something I am engraving requires a lot of precise placements especially of hairpins where I have found the grouping (and then upgrouping via shortcut manually) to be an extra step I have to keep repeating almost every single time. So for this project I was curious if there was something deep in the engrave or layout options maybe that could disable this behavior.

In many cases I do appreciate that it is helpful, yes.

2 Likes

Same here, I was just looking to find an option to do this, but to no avail.

1 Like