Disabling midi port - how?

I want to disable midi input port which I dont want to use with cubase 12 but paralell with other app simultanously.
I can only make it unvisible but cant make it unactive for cubase. How can I block it?

Hi,

You can use any MIDI Port simultaneously in multiple applications. They don’t block the MIDI Ports each other.

If you want to filter it out for Cubase, do so in the Studio > Studio Setup > MIDI Port Setup. Disable the Visibility and the “In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ Port”.

1 Like

My experience…with Windows based systems…

Some USB MIDI devices/interfaces are not properly designed to be multi-client capable, and can only be seen by one app at a time. Examples in my setup are Akai MPK261 and EWI MIDI controllers.

Some of the newer Steinberg engines will grab every device on the system at launch by default (for the perk of that merged ALL MIDI IN feature) and won’t let go.

One can ‘filter’ their activity, but Steinberg still likes to lock down the port. At one point, in Cubase at least (not so for Dorico at any time since it’s hit the streets to present), you could go into the studio options (as Martin describes above) and actually blacklist devices so Cubase will TRULY IGNORE THEM.

I can’t say for Cubase 12 since I don’t have it yet. I do remember having some issues with Cubase 11 (I might have missed something in my myriad of templates and user settings) and just went with my solution below. Also, since I use Dorico on regular basis, it just cuts down confusion in my particular work flow.

So…

My solution is to launch something that grabs the problem device (or anything else that I don’t want Steinberg apps to connect with) BEFORE launching Steinberg apps, and then use Virtual Ports if I need to bounce it around among more than one App.

So for me it’s like this.

1st, launch something like Bidule, or Bome which grabs the problem devices. Now when launching Cubase it can’t grab them.

Personally, it’s part of my boot process (through OS scripts and whatnot) to launch loopMIDI, open an instance of Bidule, and do some internal Audio and MIDI routing…so it’s not even something I need to worry with going from session to session, app to app.

I then forward the events through virtual ports that I make with loopMIDI.

At that point, my AKAI controllers can be diverted to different clients/servers at will. Instead of choosing the Akai devices as direct inputs in various apps, I chose one of those virtual ports.

Currently, a few Steinberg apps are the only ones I own that I cannot truly black-list devices that I don’t want it going anywhere near. Most of the others don’t touch a device until specifically instructed to do so, but then again, they don’t have an instant merged “ALL MIDI IN” feature either.

Note: If you’re not interested in using something like Bome or Bidule, it’s also possible to do things the other way around.

Make sure you have some virtual ports active (such as loopMIDI).

Always launch Cubase first and subsequently do all of your MIDI routing through Cubase. Let it have all the devices, and simply use spare MIDI tracks, Set to channel ALL, with monitoring toggled on, to divert things out to the virtual ports and on to other apps.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, I just want to say that input port filtering could be easelly done much more logical, efective and usefull. When I hide port from All in port group it still trigering, the only way is then to chose single in port. Thats not good solution for many. Why not disable/enable instead of visibility in ALL IN group?