Disappearing graphics

All of a sudden the graphics that I have on the first page of the score (two different logos) don’t show up anymore. The frames are there, but all I get are red crosses.

Is there a switch for showing/hiding graphics, or did something else cause this? I am sure I did not do anything with the master page. It is gone there also if I check in the master page editor.

This also makes me wonder about best practice; should one keep the graphics in the same folder as the dorico file?

Thanks
LAE

The graphics are embedded in the project directly, so it’s immaterial where they are relative to the project. Can you attach a project that you expect to show graphics but which no longer does?

That is good to know.

Of course I just replaced the two images, but here is one of the backup files (stripped) if you want to have a look.
snippet_graphics.zip (620 KB)

Interesting, the manifest shows the graphics that are supposed to be there, but the files themselves are missing. Did you import the master pages from another project, or anything like that?

No, they were not imported, but this is a file that I started on an earlier version. I use it as a template that I update and tweak as I go along newer projects.

Having restored the graphics now, please let me know if this goes wrong again in future.

Will do.

So, it has happened again. This time I was able to track down two backups, one before and one after. Two hours between them.
I will save these two files, and can send them to you if you would like to investigate.

Sure, by all means.

I made a title page in the master page set which has logo at bottom of page, and project work number in upper corner. These are missing when I see the actual title page. What happened?

Hi barb, welcome to the forum. Did you make sure the changes in the master page were copied from left to right?

Have you made sure there are no page overrides on that page? They’d show as a red triangle in the top-right pages panel.

Hi Dan,
I removed the overrides and the Title page disappeared altogether.

Then I reinserted the title page and it looks good now. The title page does show a red triangle but it is correct now.

Instead of inserting the page you designed, you need to insert a Master Page Change to avoid the override. I know it feels a little unintuitive.

How do you insert a master page change?

And why design a title page if you need to do a master page change? Will I still have a title page, a first page, and a default page?

You definitely want to design a new master page, because you want your design changes that you created for the title page to be preserved, and be able to be used in other layouts and other projects.

In the Pages panel at the top right corner, right click on the first page and select “Insert Master page change.”

Again, I understand there is a bit of a learning curve here, but believe me… When you get a handle on master pages, you’ll find them incredibly powerful.

I’ll give it a try.

I selected Insert Master Page Change, and nothing happened. What should I see?

You should see a dialog window opened with a drop down list of existing masterpages so that you can choose which masterpage applies on this page only or all pages starting at this page…