Disaster relief song- structure in place

Sorry guys. Couldn’t get the song quite the way I wanted by tonight. I’ll need another day, two at most.

Are you changing song structure? Or is your comment about the mix? If it’s the latter then that’s fine. But if you’re changing structure then I need to wait for the new version to come out.

And, yeah, I didn’t get a chance to do the bass over the weekend - I had earmarked a few hours today to do it. Please let me know if I should proceed.

Structure is sound IMO, good work :sunglasses:
No matter what happens with this piece, it prompted a response, an urge to create. That can never be bad :sunglasses:
Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil! :slight_smile: Hopefully I can get just as creative when it comes to publicizing it. :neutral_face:

@Larry,
I’m mainly changing the arrangement of the verses / choruses. I’m doing very little as to the mix. I have just notched a couple of frequencies that might be problematic to other instruments…

So if you can hang on for another day, I should have the next version ready.

Cheers!

I can. But I will be flying to Phoenix Wednesday for work for the remainder of the week so I’m not sure I’ll have a result for you until next weekend, depending on when the next version is ready. Don’t rush it - I’m only explaining my delay in advance.

Hmmm… I actually have a litte time this week, for a change, so are we now looking at next week???

Hey Steve,
Yeah, that transition is a bit of a train wreck. It is one of the things on my list to change.

If you want to use the Tak to provide a bed for the solo and the background for Glyns voice that would work. I’ll just remove some of the sparkly top end. (I love fret noise btw… I think it adds character to the music. so one thing you don’t have to worry about it playing it with no squeaks) :slight_smile: Also, if you hear something different, just let me know. I’ve recorded a click-track now, and can send you the song in any way, shape or form. I’ve also saved most of the parts on my Fantom sequencer so it is no problem to tweak and throw them back down.

I’ll have a solid wav file this time when I send it, so you should be able to import that instead of having to convert an mp3.

@Larry,
There’s no hurry. I’ll have a lot to do to refine and tweak stuff even after sending out the revised version.

@Robin,
I’ll be sending the revised version either late tonight or tomorrow night. You (or anyone) can jump in anywhere along the way. Whatever works best.

I’ll also be uploading the complete project to my ftp server.

@Steve,
Does your version of Cubase use folder tracks?

:smiley:

I use folder tracks in my project to help organize the instruments.
You create a track, and choose folder as the track type. Then you can put any “legitimate” music tracks in it that you like.

For instance I’ll use folders like this:
Vox / Keys
Guitar / Bass
Drums / Percs
Misc / FX (for things like Woodwind, Horns, Sound FX, etc…)
Util (For click tracks, etc…)
Archive (for stuff I want to keep at the moment, but not sure I’m gonna use it).

I’m not sure you could open my Cubase project anyway, so I can export mixes based on what you need. I’ll make sure to send all the details, the time / location, etc…

Don’t worry about transitioning … you’ll have done your bit, then when I hear how you’ve transitioned, it’ll be fore me to ‘respect’ it and I’ll do MY bit for my voice to ‘fit’ into how you’ve worked it, 'bro, then John and Tom will manage the mixing … It’ll be great, Team N F’k Yeah.

Folder tracks … all I can say to that is badger badger badger badger SNAAAAAKKKKKKE. They scare me.

All the best
Glyn

Hey Steve,
I’ll be replaying the backing for the solo part tonight. Do you have any requests as to how I should play it to benefit your solo?

Cheers!

Sounds good Steve. As T. Monk would say, “You got it!” Can’t wait to hear it. :smiley:

The project is more for Tom anyway, who I’m sure will want to do some specific track work when this is nearly done. I’ll just organize the project as I normally do, and modify when people yell at me. :wink:

The concept is quite addicting once you get used to it.

In addition to using folders a lot, I have a “guide track” (MIDI) that contains nothing but blank measures that are color coded according to what part of the song they are (verse, chorus, bridge, solo, etc.). This way no matter what folders I have open or closed I also know how soon the next section will arrive while I’m tracking.

Tomorrow’s the day. I have a drum fill to clean up, levels to check, then I’ll upload the project and a wav file (rough mix) to my ftp location. I’ll send out all the count and sample info as well in a readme.

Larry, would you mind Pm’ing me your email?

Cheers!

Done. :slight_smile:

Hey, do you guys mind if I try to derail this thread or would that just be making a pain in the a_s_s of myself?

:mrgreen:

How’s it going John?

Good, provided we don’t get any major storms (front coming). Other than that I’m hoping to have the revised version out tonight sometime.

:laughing: :sunglasses: :smiley: