Disc Image Feature Request (PG)

Just wanting to know since I’m sending more masters through email and not in the mail. Is there a chance of putting a feature to write to .iso in audio format on the mac? I can import into a PC and convert to .iso, but I wanted a way of doing so in a mac. I haven’t found a virtual CDRW driver that’s stable for mac yet. Thanks!

You can create ISO files in WaveLab, and put DDP file sets onto it.

Yes but the average user cannot read DDP files.

BUT I have good news as I’ve figured out a work around. When a Cue file is created, there is a command line in the .cue file that tells where the location of the file. This is mucking with cd burning apps as they cannot read Wavelab’s output cue/wave files.

Find your .cue file and open it up in a text editor and make sure that underneath “PERFORMER XXXXX” and “TRACK 01 AUDIO XXXXX”
you must delete the file location. Example of cue file in text below:

TITLE “One Night Stand”
PERFORMER “PhiLLY PhiL”
________________________________________________________________<delete anything here, should be blank
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE “The Spot”
PERFORMER “PhiLLY PhiL”
INDEX 01 00:00:00

THEN Toast will recognize the wave file with proper track markers. I dunno about Nero.

OK, I tried the Cue/Wave file in Nero. Does not work.

The only solution that I’ve found so far is DDP Player

for now this will have to do.

@Illynoise:
I don’t know if this is related to your finding, but are you aware of the following option?..

In fact this works especially well. A complete solution. We have been using it for quite a while now. The ‘badged’ version adds value and the perception of professionalism to your service.

As well, it allows an additional quality control check of your DDP production master: ‘check project’ and ‘check md5 checksum’. It will also print a PQ sheet which you can compare with the CD report generated by WL.

Good luck!

Wow, I had no idea about the branded version of DDP player that you can send to clients to preview and approve a DDP version. I’ve been just sending a zip with WAV files for each CD track and then an mp3 of the entire project as one file to verify the gaps, as well a PDF of the CD-report.

Anyway, after looking into the branded version more, it appears that it doesn’t open 3rd party DDP images.
Is there a way to purchase the branded version and send to clients along with a DDP generated by Wavelab or other 3rd party program?

Well, this is not correct.

All the DDPs we do are generated in WL. No client has even had a problem opening a WL generated DDP in this player.

As far as I know, a DDP is a DDP …

Hmm, maybe it’s because I’m just using the trial. I’d love for this to work. Are you saying that if I buy the OEM version of DDP player, I can make a DDP in Wavelab and then send a version of DDP player to a client along with a link to download and preview the DDP?

Yes. I’ll contact you privately … maybe not appropriate to discuss non Steinberg product solutions here.

WL generates all our DDPs.

No Sir, I didn’t know about this. But I will check that box! Thanks very much for the tip!

I am still trying to figure out the best way to send a file for clients to review.

The only solution that I have found universally is this: Burn a Disc, save as image in Nero as .nrg. Rename to .iso then send to client. This has worked. I’m not sure why everyone says that .iso files don’t work for Audio as I use them all the time.

Maybe there is something else. I would love to see a better universal disc format. Thanks again PG for all of your help!

Jason

I must say that the Sonoris DDP Player OEM version mentioned above seems like the best way to go for delivering masters to clients for review. Once you purchase it, you get a custom download link for both Windows and Mac version to send to your clients (unlimited) and they download the installer they need direct from Sonoris. The installer file is small and very easy to install. They just enter in a one-time code that you give them, your code is always the same. What’s even better for clients that aren’t very computer savvy is that you can drag the zipped DDP into the player and it will unzip it for them and load the DDP. From there, clients can listen to it like a virtual CD, burn a physical CD-R copy, or export each track as a WAV file to add to their iTunes library. There are also security options available if you’re concerned about the album leaking or your clients using your DDP player to audition masters from other studios. The DDP Player itself is very simple, and the client can’t change anything around on accident. It also displays all CD-Text and ISRC codes (if available). It’s as you would expect the most basic audio player to be.

So from here on out I plan to provide clients with a DDP image of the project, and then a link and instructions to download the DDP Player, the player even launches with your studio logo which makes it more professional looking.

I am curious to see what WL8 will change for rendering files from the montage. Ideally, when the mastering is approved via DDP & DDP Player or otherwise, it would be awesome to render mp3s (or WAVs) right from the montage that get all the meta-data embedded from the CD-Text that is entered in the montage, and even have a place for the album artwork. As things shift away from physical CD, more clients enjoy getting properly and fully tagged mp3s as they would appear if you bought from iTunes store. Jaikoz will even embed ISRC codes into the mp3s.

Right now, for delivering tagged mp3s, I have to render as mp3 from the montage, load the mp3s into Jaikoz software and add all the metadata manually. The raw file names will always have 01, 02, 03 at the start (as they do if you look in your iTunes media folder via the Finder) but with Jaikoz, you can tag the mp3s so that in iTunes software (and probably others), those track numbers do not appear, but the songs remain in the correct order because you can tag the track number and total number of songs in Jaikoz in a way that the numbers don’t appear in iTunes in the file name. Prior to doing this, I have had clients complain that in iTunes, they don’t like that the track numbers appear in the song title field. Getting rid of the numbers looks more professional.

I think in 2013, a mastering DAW that can do this is essential.

Philippe already hinted in this direction, that WL8 will indeed offer much more in the metadata department. I would expect exactly the kinds of things you mention - and welcome them very much too!

it would be awesome to render mp3s (or WAVs) right from the montage that get all the meta-data embedded from the CD-Text that is entered in the montage, and even have a place for the album artwork.

What a good idea for a new WaveLab version :wink: :smiley:

This is excellent news, now if we could just get a release date in April and we’d be sittin’ good. :smiley:

This would be indeed handy. However, the cool thing about the Sonnox Pro Codec is that it has an option to ensure no overs are present post conversion.

So, it’s not possible to render an Audio Montage directly to ISO, right?

(I think the competition like Sequoia has this feature, and is very useful …)

So, it’s not possible to render an Audio Montage directly to ISO, right?

What are you talking about with “ISO”? What do you expect to obtain?

Philippe

An exact image of the CD (or of the Audio Montage) to send it to the client…

In what file format? (ISO is not a file format). What the client should do with it?