Discard Take - Key Command

Does anyone know if there is a key command for discard take like Pro Tools has when you are recording and press command+. For example you are recording and without having to press stop and then undo it discards the take. The closest thing I have found is restart but that keeps my take in the audio pool and I want it in the trash.

I am also aware that Rerecord starts record over and moves the take to the trash but doesn’t work withy key command macro to always preroll 1 and another for preroll 2 bars (not using the typed in pre-roll function).

Okay here is a solution that works but isn’t as bullet proof as a discard take command would be. Be sure not to have other files selected when you start this macro or they will be thrown in the project trash!

Transport - Stop (Punch In locator turns off based on preference, then files get selected)
Tool - Range Tool (if you start out recording with the Select Tool then when the next command runs it will change to the next of the three select tool functions i.e. Normal Sizing; Sizing Moves Contents; Sizing Applies Time Stretch)
Tool - Select Tool (this makes sure the just recorded files are selected)
Audio - Find Selected in Pool (These two steps are optional but I like to see what is being moved to the trash)
Project - Bring To Front (optional)
Edit - Delete
Transport - Auto Punch In (I have Deactivate Punch In on Stop preference enabled)
Transport - Restart
Tool - Range Tool (Not necessary, I do this because I usually use this for locating record points and punch range with “Cycle Follows Range Selection” preference turned on)

For some strange reason opening the pool via the MCU (Mackie Control Universal) foot pedal causes Cubase to stall so here is a more streamlined version. The frustrating thing is this works just fine with a keyboard shortcut but doesn’t work with the MCU. Someday Steinberg will beef up the Macro editor have a delay, change the order with arrows and do the many things people have complained about it not doing in these forums.

Tool - Range Tool
Tool - Select Tool
Edit - Select None (ensures no other events get deleted since selecting another location with range tool after recording keeps the last recording selected)
Transport - Restart
Tool - Range Tool
Tool - Select Tool
Edit - Delete
Tool - Range Tool

In Theory this should work since it works just fine by hand but it doesn’t.
Tool - Range Tool
Tool - Select Tool
Edit - Select None
Transport - Restart
Edit - Delete
Tool - Range Tool

This also should always work with range or object selection tool selected and keep you on the same tool but works half the time with object selection tool.

Transport - Restart
Tool - Previous Tool
Edit - Delete
Tool - Next Tool

Hi Skillet,

I think you are looking for this:
Record Functions
Re-Record Mode Activates/Deactivates the re-record mode that allows you to reinitiate a recording with a single click.

Page 197 of the manual.

I use it all the time with my guitar and vox audio recording!!

Jim B

Thanks Jim, I am actually not, I had that assigned to Control+* (asterisk), when they added that in 7.5 but ended up needing to change my preroll values all the time and was getting frustrated constantly turning preroll off and on. Now I just run a macro for 1 bar and 2 bar preroll and can click and play from anywhere as well as make a selection and do a punch in and out without ever having to think what is my preroll set to and is preroll turned on?

Here is an example of a macro I use for recording

Macro - Record at Selection with Pre-Roll
Transport - Locate Selection End
Transport - Set Right Locator
Transport - Locate Selection
Transport - Set Left Locator
Transport - Auto Punch In
Transport - Step Back Bar (add as many times as you need for pre-roll)
Transport - Start

This works in Rerecord or Punch In/Out

If you don’t need any pre-roll use this, it is helpful for both Object & Range Selection Tools and sets things up for the rerecord functions in my previous post.

Macro - Set Playhead and Left & Right Locators to Left Selection or “Locate When Clicked in Empty Space” and Record, and Auto Punch In On
Tool - Previous Tool
Edit - Select None
Tool - Next Tool
Transport - Locate Selection
Transport - Set Left Locator
Transport - Auto Punch In
Tranport - Record

In short the problem with rerecord for me is it always jumps back to the location you started playing at and if you want it to work with preroll so you can hear the previous audio you have set your preroll values and turn on preroll and then I am back the the problem I described above. It is much more helpful for me to stay in “Punch In/Out”

Hopefully that makes sense.

As a side note I also leave start recording at cursor always on because that way I can press astrics when I want it to start at cursor or run the macro to get recording to start at left locator. If I want to set some other random visual location for preroll then I simply just use the range selection tool to select where I want to punch (range selection linked to locators as noted above) click in any ruler (usually one made above tracks I am recording) then press I for “Transport - Auto Punch In” and spacebar and I am recording at any location. This is similar to Pro Tools option click with selector tool. It is super fast and only two mouse clicks (which really can’t be any less), I+space which I could make a macro for but no need.

Hopefully that is some workflow goodness for someone out there, I always love reading other’s workflows that shed light on something I hadn’t thought of before.

Logic’s horrible way to change preroll is one of the biggest deterrents for me.