Discover Dorico - online session

Thank you very much for the video John, I found it very enjoyable and learnt a lot on the layout capabilities of Dorico - very impressive. I’m looking forward to further videos.

At 28:01, John is saying “un-tick”

Here is a mini-transcript of this section:

“Bartók doesn’t want the Soprano or Piano, so with the flow selected I’ll un-tick those two players…”

[“un-tick” meaning to deselect the check box for that option]

Yes, “untick” means deselect. Tick and untick would be colloquialisms (primarily UK colloquialisms) for check and un-check.

I think UMahnken meant ‘obscure’ - maybe I was using phrases generally that don’t translate well?

Sorry if the recording quality wasn’t great - I wonder if it was more that I mumble sometimes and I had a lot of fit in the session so it was quite fast (that, and nerves).

All things that can be improved on hopefully!

I don’t think we’ll be able to get the sessions translated, but I know that there are various people preparing tutorial videos or training in other languages already.

Hi John, I gave your video a second chance by downloading and playing it with VLC and slowing down the tempo - now understanding nearly all your words :slight_smile:

That’s a good idea - maybe we should ask you to do a translation!

Hi John,
Love your videos.
Look, I’m about to start writing a children’s opera, but I’m hesitating whether to use Dorico for the project. Possibly the main issue for me is playback: i.e. getting a smooth playback as in Sibelius. Can this be achieved? Its just that I tend to work from my mind straight to the input screen, and use the playback to confirm or deny my ideas. Also, I will need to generate audio for the kids and other singers to help them learn their parts. I’d love to use Dorico because of its fine layout capabilities…
Thanks
Bohdan

If you enjoy inputting the music into Dorico and find the layout looks good, then use Dorico. You can always export the project as MusicXML to work on it some more in Sibelius if you really get into a pickle with Dorico. The forthcoming 1.0.30 update will improve playback in a lot of small ways, so I would suggest that you at least wait for that and take a look before you decide.

thanks Daniel

Thanks for the video, John.

I learned a lot, and I think the videos serve as a reminder that there are a lot of well-thought-out tips and tricks available to make input efficient. Such things are best seen and heard rather than read (though of course written documentation is still needed for reference). This is the second video that included content that made me say, “Wow!”

Like many, for me there are areas of Dorico functionality that have bee disappointing, some of which I had hoped would have been implemented by now but apparently still will not make the upcoming update (sigh!).** But it is clear that as improved playback functionality comes online, Dorico will be quite the compositional tool for me. Hopefully before too long my usage of Dorico will increase.

** Edited to add: In view of Daniel’s comment above I’m hoping some of the improved playback capabilities I’m waiting for will in fact appear in the impending update.

Thanks John, for the online presentation. Again, very helpful. Looking forward to the update!

The video is removed! Will there be any more discovery sessions, please?

Look at the Dorico YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=discover+dorico

1 Like

Or check out these playlists:

2 Likes