Discovery for cre - scen - do mol - to

Dear fellow Doricians,

This is just to share a gem I just discovered by chance : I needed to add molto to a cre - scen - do marking, and I noticed that adding mol-to in the suffix field of the dynamics properties was just enough for Dorico to know that I wanted to have that “molto” also treated as the crescendo.
The only question I have about those dashed lines (for the cream of the engravers that read me) is : why are they bottom lines ? Shouldn’t they be (vertically) in the middle, as - or — instead of _ ? And second question, do we need those dashed lines between “crescendo” and “molto”, or after “molto” ? And shouldn’t the dashes end with the last syllable ?

Capture d’écran 2018-02-01 à 10.43.32.png

They should be in the middle. If it’s part of an ongoing instruction, I’d like them to carry on between words as Dorico does.
I’ve done this with dashes inside the word but ‘bottom’ ones between words, but it looks weird. So preference is as Dorico has done with lines in the middle.

Please see this thread:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=131128

Thanks for the link! In any case, my post was mostly to inform other users that Dorico handled suffix hyphenated words in that gradual appearance, although we share the same conclusions on where the dashes should be ^^
Hopefully the devs will correct this when they have the time to deal with it (it’s gold standard after all!)

Sure, Marc!

I’m just glad to see that more of us are concerned with this, as it increases the likelihood of a change being made.

I should mention that having the hyphens at the baseline of expressions is quite common in older scores, which might be the reason for Dorico’s current behaviour. One particular publisher, Durand, even had a more consistent approach back in the day, lowering all hyphens in expressions, lyrics and even body text to the baseline. This might have been a style more widely used in France at the time, but there is no reason to adopt any of these practices in modern scores. If you want a consistent hight between hyphens and regular continuation lines (which is certainly advisable), both should be drawn at the centered x-hight position.

Ideally though, Dorico should have the ability to recreate such details in older scores, so I would definitely prefer it if hyphens and continuation lines were vertically adjustable. But failing that, the modern typographical standard should be adopted.

With regard to whether or not there should also be continuation lines between words in hyphenated expressions, I agree with Steve’s assessment. Although, the practice varies among different publishers, so I think this should be optional in Dorico as well.