TOPLINE: I don’t think i will be able to edit this post after a short while - so this can’t be as complete as I’d hope. I will add new posts as I fill out my thoughts.
ALL COMMENTS/IMAGES/DIAGRAMS welcomed.
I BELIEVE A PERFECT LIVE MONITORING SYSTEM IS POSSIBLE.
OBJECTIVE: to bring together thoughts on using VST LIVE PRO onstage IN a computer, with just VST LIVE PRO, and an interface (ex. RME with analogue/AES digital, and/or MADI/DANTE/AVB)
NOTE: of course, there’s a lotta other bits needed - the idea being: we do NOT need a digital mixer as well (?) (?) (?)
1) I’ve started to understand the VST LIVE and am extremely grateful and amazed to see the improvements between version 1.0 and now! The DEVs replies to bugs and feature requests are so SO very often ~> “Can-Do”, and ‘Planned’. Absolutely ASTONISHING! And, who gets an update nearly once a week!?!—)))
2) Like so many of us I would like to arrive at the gig venue, have each band member turn on their ipads, (4 or 5 piece band for me) - and hear their personalized and individually controlled mix in their in-ear monitors, or even from monitor wedges from the floor.
3) My system in mind so far would be a very well optimized and stress tested win11 PC running VST LIVE PRO with an HDSPe card from RME. (I’ll elaborate in future posts about PCs and why an internal card) UAD APOLLO could be very cool too, due to effects, Thunderbolt and more i guess.
TELL US YOUR THOUGHTs ? - MAC - Other manufacturers - other systems etc.
4) MY FIRST BIG WONDERING HAS BEEN: ~> if a digital mixer is added to the system the problem may become, which ipad app would the performer/band-members use to adjust their mix?
The (yamaha, behringer, presonus, allen & health, soundcraft) digital mixer’s app would complicate much I currently believe.
A live monitoring system without a digital mixer must consider computer latency when using effects. I am VERY optimistic in my tests.
ESPECIALLY when there’s interface Control Panels, like the UAD Apollo, AND RME’s TotalMix WITH FX (compressor/delay/EQ/Reverb) which i expect SHOULD/COULD/WOULD integrate BRILLIANTLY with VST LIVE PRO, relieving much of the CPU workload!-) – adding a (?) as i don’t assume much-)
I’ve also looked into a 2nd computer system in sync for what is called redundancy in case of crash, which in my case is highly rare, almost never. Me, computers onstage for a long time in fact, yet not at all recently…
Also, must have an Uninterruptible Power Supply to clean the AC power etc.
5) With AVB/DANTE/(MADI kinda?) ~~>> All that i’m beginning to learn about – analogue can be distributed with just one cable. True, though there’s many fascinating areas to consider. Wireless Mics, in-ear monitors, splitters to go to the Front-Of-House. All very interesting!
I could perhaps go deeper here – though likely better to invite comments and add my other points later as i learn more.
I am motivated today to start this thread, earlier than i thought I would due to a reply I received down the page here ~~>> (link at top of this post) my comments there are near the bottom as of today.
best wishes to all
PLAYING LIVE IS GOING TO BE GREAT thanks to VST LIVE PRO in my view*-)